Cool draft line length calculator

A spot to talk general homebrew
jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Cool draft line length calculator

Post by jason.loxton » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:30 pm

Just stumbled across this cool Excel tool, and thought I'd pass it on: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/beer-li ... ndex2.html

Post 15 has the link to the updated version, and later in the thread he adds a metric one for those interested (a couple of pages later). There are drop down menus for changing to different style, etc. Very handy.

Jason

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Re: Cool draft line length calculator

Post by mr x » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:48 pm

I tend to agree with this guy, and I told BB the same thing a few years back in the old thread:
Is it just me, or does anyone else find that these calculators drastically under-calculate the required length? I use the standard 8.9 cf ft whirlpool keezer at 38 degrees, and keep my regular brews at 10 psi. All these calculators call for anything from 4 to 6 feet (depending on which one you use) of 3/16 inch tubing. But in practice anything less than 10 feet isn't usuable. I'd suspect that my regulator is off or something, but the beer is perfectly carbed.

I just keep all my lines at 10 ft.
That's been my experience anyway.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Re: Cool draft line length calculator

Post by NASH » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:40 pm

There's a decent online calculator here: https://www.kegman.net/tap_info.htm#pressuredrop

I agree with X to a certain extent, when it comes to a short run and rise it's pretty forgiving stuff for the most part. Not the case when you get into 30 or 40 foot long runs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”