Page 1 of 1

Looking for some opinions on specific yeast strains

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:07 am
by IanCompetent
I'm doing a big yeast order from Noble Grape and I'm curious about what kind of character you get from the "Denny's Favourite" strain. The description on the Wyeast site doesn't really tell that much about it.

Also...would like to get some opinions on the Wyeast Saison strains. I'd like to make one soon and I'm looking for something that is slightly tart, and finishes clean and dry.

Lastly, for those that have ever used Weinhenstephan: how well does it work at high fermentation temps?? My bucket seems to be hovering at 78-80 degrees due to the recent heat. I could put in the basement, where it would hover around 68, but I'm trying to not get a clove-like taste from it this time. It makes me think that the high temps will produce a pretty potent banana/bubblegum flavour and I'm kind of hoping that it isn't too much. If it does turn out that way, will bottle-aging help mellow it??

If anybody has an experince with these things, any and all input is greatly appreciated!! :headbang:

Re: Looking for some opinions on specific yeast strains

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:10 am
by mr x
3711 will eat everything, and is quite fruity and as dry as you'll get. It makes for a yeast dominated flavour as well. I've only used 3068 at low temps.

Re: Looking for some opinions on specific yeast strains

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:22 am
by jeffsmith
As X said, 3711 is a beast. I used it in a Saison last summer and it finished at 1.004, extremely dry.

Re: Looking for some opinions on specific yeast strains

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:29 pm
by jason.loxton
Here's some thoughts on a split batch fermentation, blind taste test, using Denny's strain and Wyeast 1968: http://hessbrewing.blogspot.ca/2009/10/ ... -test.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Looking for some opinions on specific yeast strains

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:36 am
by IanCompetent
Thanks for the replies guys!!

:cheers: