Setting up/making a Kegerator....

A spot to talk general homebrew
XmonikerX
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Dave

Setting up/making a Kegerator....

Post by XmonikerX » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:19 pm

I've been thinking about making the switch, and maybe making a Kegerator. I'm getting a couple kegs from Chalmers this week (from the PEI group buy). I bought a 4.4cu mini fridge that doesnt have a freezer compartment in it. (i live in an apartment so full size fridge is not really an option). I figure i should have enough room in it for two kegs, + a CO2 tank. I think Im going to do a dual tower mount.

I really havent looked into this too much yet, and really have no idea what i need, and am going pretty much on impulse right now!
Anything i should look for? Or avoid?

What are some good places to order some parts from? Or are noble's prices fairly good on that kind of equuipment?

Any help would be great!

chalmers
Name: Chris

Re: Setting up/making a Kegerator....

Post by chalmers » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Yeesh, avoid Noble Grape like the plague, for quality and price sake. We've had great results with brewmasterswarehouse.com (bnarmy coupon code for 10% off), ratchet can comment on kegconnections.com, plus the usual suspects at northernbrewer and morebeer.
I say go for it, you will not miss bottling one bit! And having a separate, small fridge is the way to go. A dual tower sounds perfect for your situation, can sit in a corner in the kitchen, be accessible, but not an eyesore.

I'd say a 5pound CO2 tank is the way to go, and whether you want a dual reg, or just tee off a single is up to you. I'd probably go dual, so you can have them at different pressures to carb/serve. Not sure on towers, but I vote Perlick SS all the way. Absolutely love the low maintenance ones I've got on my setup.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:59 pm

The most important thing for making a kegerator out of one of those fridges is locating you coolant lines that run through the top. If you drill those your done, and have a nice paperwait that looks like a fridge. There are youtube videos of people using a solution of cornstarch and rubbing alcohol to determine where the line was, spread it on the top of the fridge while it's running and it drys out really quick where the lines run becuause it's warmer there. I've done one like this before and it works. Have a look around for that video.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

JEH
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JEH » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:08 pm

I can't really comment on how to make it, but I just made one from a chest freezer and say absolutely go for it. I couldn't be happier having my home brew on tap.
As for the NG, I ordered my things from there and it took them two weeks to get it all together so if you can find a cheaper route online you should definitely take it. Good luck with the build!
Serving:
-Strong Bitter
-Double Chocolate Espresso Stout
Fermenting/Conditioning:
-Robust Porter
-Raspberry Wheat
-American Pale Ale

XmonikerX
Verified User
Verified User

Post by XmonikerX » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:37 pm

cool thanks for the input, i'll take a look at those sites, and for the youtube vid.
It's all just a plan right now, so i still have to looking into all the parts/pieces i'll need etc.

i'll probably go with a dual reg. so i can have different carb. levels, if i'm going to spend the time and $ i might as well spend a few $ extra.

What about one of these kits? Or would it be better to buy everything seperate?
http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?pro ... 425&page=1

Jmac00
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Jmac00 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:50 pm

I've seen some nice tower's made out of plastic PVC pipe and painted to look like SS or aluminum. towers with faucets can run $$. For faucets and shanks, http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com/Scripts/default.asp seems to be cheap and ship to canada, as well as http://www.chicompany.net/ .

ratchet
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ratchet » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:36 am

I'm currently in the process of converting a bar fridge to a kegerator... got my stuff from kegconnection.

I think they're going through a bit of growing pains right now... so my recommendation would be to place your order over the phone with Todd himself if you're getting stuff from them.

I've got a bunch of kegs already (thanks to Chalmers and Jmac00), so I just ordered a dual-body regulator, 5lb tank, and all of the associated hoses (as well as some cleaner).

Since I don't want to drill through the top of my fridge (I set things on top of it right now), I'm just using picnic faucets on the kegs.

XmonikerX
Verified User
Verified User

Post by XmonikerX » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:31 am

from what i read, it sounds like the front mount faucets are easier to put in, and you dont have to worry about cooling lines etc. maybe ill think about going that route.

Jmac00
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Jmac00 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:41 am

XmonikerX wrote:from what i read, it sounds like the front mount faucets are easier to put in, and you dont have to worry about cooling lines etc. maybe ill think about going that route.
yup...easier and cheaper...one thing to be careful of when installing is length of your shanks..as there's only so much room with the mini fridges and the tight fit of two kegs...with a long shank, you may not be able to close door.

ratchet
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ratchet » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:42 am

just be sure you have enough room front-to-back in your fridge for the faucet shanks when the kegs are in place (I don't)

Edit:
yeah... what Jmac00 said :D

XmonikerX
Verified User
Verified User

Post by XmonikerX » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:15 pm

I think I'll have a few inches clear towards the top if I install them there. (on the door) But I'll check it all out before/when I decide what I'm going to do.

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:16 pm

I too am setting up a keg system at the moment - my mini fridge thermostat is broken at the moment though, so it is functioning as a freezer in the shape of a fridge right now. Waiting for a temperature regulator to ship.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”