Page 1 of 1

Using top cropped yeast

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:47 pm
by Jimmy
So I top cropped from my last brew (brewed last Friday) and ended up with enough yeast for my next brew. As soon as I put it in the mason jar (along with a bit of the fermented wort from the original beer), I threw it in the fridge. It's been in the fridge for about 5 days now. Should I just be able to take the jar out of the fridge and pitch it directly into the beer I'm brewing today?

Re: Using top cropped yeast

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:16 pm
by amartin
I'll usually pitch it directly if it''s been in the fridge for a week or less. Any more than that and I'll make a starter.

Re: Using top cropped yeast

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:52 pm
by mr x
Yup it's good.

Sent from my Nexus S

Re: Using top cropped yeast

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:10 pm
by sleepyjamie
Can u take a pic of the yeast in the jar. I'd like to compare your top crop with mine.

Thnx


Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Re: Using top cropped yeast

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:20 pm
by Jimmy
I already swirled it into suspension but I'd say there was 1/2-3/4" of yeast compacted in the bottom of the 500ml mason jar.

Re: Using top cropped yeast

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:55 pm
by sleepyjamie
I want to top cropp my yeast tonight into an empty jar, then tomorrow top crop again and top up with water in the mason jar. Think that would be OK?

Re: Using top cropped yeast

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:21 pm
by amartin
That's how I usually do it. That was my plan tonight for a mild ale I made on Sunday, and oops, it had already fallen back into suspension. I'll have to collect it from the bottom this time.