Lots of empty fermenters

A spot to talk general homebrew
Garak

Lots of empty fermenters

Post by Garak » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:57 pm

2011-02-12 20.03.23_Halifax_Nova Scotia_CA.jpg
Picked up some 3,5 and 12 gallon pyrex carboys today.
2011-02-12 20.06.52_Halifax_Nova Scotia_CA.jpg
12 gallon and 5 gallon pyrex carboys with a winebottle for scale
2011-02-12 20.10.14_Halifax_Nova Scotia_CA.jpg
Two 3 gallon pyrex carboys with 6 gallon carboys in the back.

The bungs that came with them are starting to crack so I need some replacements. They are nearly hockey puck sized. Anyone got a local source.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kyle

Re: Lots of empty fermenters

Post by KMcK » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:06 am

I'm looking for a #13 stopper, which isn't quite as big as a hockey puck but is bigger than anything I can find locally. One of the suppliers we were looking at for this group order viewtopic.php?f=13&t=176 has some and likely has some big enough for your use. I'm hoping we get enough interest to revive this order so take a look.
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

Garak

Post by Garak » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:45 am

There is a another carboy wrapped in a towel in the picture, that has my tiny batch of all grain snow wheat in it. Behind the camera is two more 6 gallon carboys with my friends red wines in them(its his house) and he has beer in a bucket fermenter(can't remember what it is). We just bottled two 6 gallon carboys of wine and two 6 gallon carboys of pilsner.

I think we now have more fermenter capacity than we could ever use. 36 gallons capacity in glass carboys, 40 gallons capacity in pyrex and 30 gallon capacity in plastic buckets. I only own about 1/3 of it.

I can't wait to start a 10 gallon batch in one of the pyrex carboys. I think that might have to wait until I have a kegging system setup.

A vacuum pump is getting higher on my "need" list. I really don't want to have to lift these to rack them. I think I'll just try and schedule racking for the same nights we filter wine as we rent the vacuum filter kit from NG.

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:12 pm

Garak wrote:I think we now have more fermenter capacity than we could ever use. 36 gallons capacity in glass carboys, 40 gallons capacity in pyrex and 30 gallon capacity in plastic buckets.
A vacuum pump is getting higher on my "need" list. I really don't want to have to lift these to rack them. I think I'll just try and schedule racking for the same nights we filter wine as we rent the vacuum filter kit from NG.
Like so many things in life, there's no such thing as too much capacity :-) You end up brewing/vinting to fit the capacity, not the demand - then you start looking for places to give away the surplus so that you can make more!

A vacuum pump is a wonderful thing. My wife does the vinting, and she's too short to lift a five gallon carboy up to a shelf even if she had the strength. The vacuum pump is probably the single-most used piece of equipment we have.
Currently on tap: Nothing!
In keg: Still nothing.
In Primary: Doggone American Rye Pale Ale

ratchet
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ratchet » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:51 pm

KMcK wrote:I'm looking for a #13 stopper, which isn't quite as big as a hockey puck but is bigger than anything I can find locally. One of the suppliers we were looking at for this group order viewtopic.php?f=13&t=176 has some and likely has some big enough for your use. I'm hoping we get enough interest to revive this order so take a look.
I'll look into a stopper for you... I'll drop you a PM either way.
Does it need a hole?

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kyle

Post by KMcK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:05 am

Ultimately it needs a hole but if you can only find one without I can easily drill one.
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

ratchet
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ratchet » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:08 am

Cool... I'll see what we have.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:34 pm

Wow, what a pile of glass. Fill that shit up!!!
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”