Bottling beer from a keg.
- Tim Gregory
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1154
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:18 pm
- Name: Tim
- Location: Downtown Dartmouth
Bottling beer from a keg.
Anyone have any advice for filling bottles from a keg without a beergun?
-
Jmac00
- Verified User

- Posts: 533
- Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:27 pm
- Location: Cape Breton, NS
Re: Bottling beer from a keg.
have you read this thread??
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-n ... gun-24678/
There's also a few vids on youtube.. Basically chill your keg and the bottles you're using. Turn off gas..purge your keg of excess co2.....then bottle from there into cold sanitized bottles. Attaching a hose to a picnic tap seems to work which will be the route i'll be doing...or you could do the same if you got mounted faucets.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-n ... gun-24678/
There's also a few vids on youtube.. Basically chill your keg and the bottles you're using. Turn off gas..purge your keg of excess co2.....then bottle from there into cold sanitized bottles. Attaching a hose to a picnic tap seems to work which will be the route i'll be doing...or you could do the same if you got mounted faucets.
- Jayme
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 2733
- Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm
- Name: Jayme
- Location: Halifax
Re: Bottling beer from a keg.
Tasty McDole on the Brewing Network does the picnic tap method you speak of. I believe he gives a fairly good description on the Sunday Session episode on bottling. The Brew Strong show on bottling might touch on it as well, but they mostly focus on the Beer Gun.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)
- Tim Gregory
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1154
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:18 pm
- Name: Tim
- Location: Downtown Dartmouth
Re: Bottling beer from a keg.
Worked like a charm. Thanks!
- bluenose
- Verified User

- Posts: 1984
- Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
- Location: New Glasgow
Re: Bottling beer from a keg.
Looking to set myself up to bottle beer from my kegs and I've seen lots of examples of the method above, but I was thinking of rigging something a little different up.
I'm thinking of using something like this to purge the bottles with: https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/pro ... 2-charger/
and rigging it to my standard faucets with one of these: https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/pro ... -standard/
does anyone know of any reasons why this is a good or bad idea?
I'm thinking of using something like this to purge the bottles with: https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/pro ... 2-charger/
and rigging it to my standard faucets with one of these: https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/pro ... -standard/
does anyone know of any reasons why this is a good or bad idea?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
-
gm-
- Verified User

- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
- Name: Jon S
- Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Re: Bottling beer from a keg.
I've used a picnic tap with a bottling wand jammed into it (similar to the method Jmac suggested) and I purged with one of those portable CO2 chargers. Using a normal growler filler might work, I've filled bottles like that for short term storage which seemed to work fine, not sure about long term effects. The beer definitely foams a bit more using a growler filler vs the picnic tap thingy
Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA
- jtmwhyte
- Verified User

- Posts: 1934
- Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
- Name: Trevor Whyte
Re: Bottling beer from a keg.
Come to Westville, see mine, drink beer
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Bottling beer from a keg.
There's a potential for contaminating the bottle of beer from beer sitting in the faucet spout that's been growing stuff?bluenose wrote:Looking to set myself up to bottle beer from my kegs and I've seen lots of examples of the method above, but I was thinking of rigging something a little different up.
I'm thinking of using something like this to purge the bottles with: https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/pro ... 2-charger/
and rigging it to my standard faucets with one of these: https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/pro ... -standard/
does anyone know of any reasons why this is a good or bad idea?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests