Page 1 of 1

Pot vs. Pot

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:17 pm
by jason.loxton
I just bought myself a 17 gallon aluminum pot from Canadian Tire (this one: http://tinyurl.com/cd697ll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) for $99. Then, I noticed the deal from Ontariobeerkegs.com (http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/product_ ... -2weld.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) for a 15 gallon stainless pot. With shipping, the stainless is going to run about $40-50 more than the aluminum. The welds on the stainless don't really matter to me, as the valve and thermometer I just bought are weldless. I am trying to decide whether to take my aluminium pot back (it is unused and undrilled) or not. I would appreciate feedback. Here are some thoughts:

Aluminum:
Pros:
-0.125" vs. 0.05" thickness (18 gauge) in the stainless (but given the cooperative differences in metal strength, etc., maybe this doesn't actually make a difference)
-Riveted handles rather than welded
-Canadian made
-Extra two gallons allows for more flexibility for long boils, etc.--this is the big plus
-Save a few bucks
Cons:
-It's aluminum (less sexy, prone to oxidation, etc.)
-Wider pot means more difficulty doing the stove-top boils I sometimes do (wider base), as well as faster evap. rate
-Lower resale when I finally upgrade to my hypothetical Blichman (in about 1 million years)

Stainless:
Pros:
-It's stainless (and therefore cooler)
-Additional height will work a little better with my sight gauge, and lower width fits better on my stove
Cons:
-Extra cost
-Extra pain in the ass (it is not here at this second, whereas my aluminum pot is)
-Welded handles more prone to breaking(?)
-Lower heat conductivity (also a plus, I suppose, since it means less likely to scorch)
-Not made in Canada

Here's an interesting link on the subject: http://beersmith.com/blog/2010/08/17/al ... wing-pots/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Pot vs. Pot

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:28 pm
by Jayme
I have both and prefer stainless. It's easier to clean and there are fewer issues of corrosion. The few extra bucks are worth in IMO. The only real advantage to aluminum is the heat conductivity (and on this scale, I don't notice any difference in heating/cooling times - a few minutes at best) and the cost. Cost is the only factor I would consider. If you can afford the extra bit of cash, I think it's worth it.

Re: Pot vs. Pot

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:06 pm
by KMcK
looks like you're also discussing aluminium vs. aluminum

Re: Pot vs. Pot

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:16 pm
by LiverDance
Go with the stainless, you won't regret it.

Re: Pot vs. Pot

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:16 pm
by akr71
I get that a wider pot is a con in terms of stove top use, but like you said - faster evap rate - I see that as a plus. Shorter boil times = less propane usage = less fuel cost and shorter brewday. Yes, your IBU calculations will be off a bit... you call always throw a few more hops in there to compensate until you figure your system out.

However, I agree with Jayme (edit: and LD) - if you have the cash, get the stainless.

Re: Pot vs. Pot

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:24 pm
by jason.loxton
KMcK: That's funny. My keyboard doesn't work very well (hence many spelling errors), and it looks like my spell check is set to British English. Ha!

Re: Pot vs. Pot

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:27 pm
by jason.loxton
Interesting that no one has commented on the volume difference. For people who have keggles or 15 gallon pots, is there not a time when an extra 2 gallons of space would have come in handy in your experience (I am thinking in particular 90 minute boils and large hop edition brews)?

Re: Pot vs. Pot

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:36 pm
by mr x
The extra space can be handy for sure. But fermcap is a lifesaver there.

Sent from my Nexus S

Re: Pot vs. Pot

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:04 pm
by derek
jason.loxton wrote: Stainless:
Pros:
-It's stainless (and therefore cooler)
...
-Lower heat conductivity (also a plus, I suppose, since it means less likely to scorch)
Aren't those the same thing? :lol:

Yes, I have many a time needed an extra two gallons - but an anti-foaming agent [e.g. Fermcap] would have cured that. Nash swears by it. (Of course, Greg just swears...)

I've never considered that evaporation rate might matter - I use enough water to come out to my desired post-boil volume & SG, rather than boil long enough to reach my required gravity. I thought it was the actual boil time that mattered. In any case, your surface area is far more a function of the degree of convection than the diameter of the kettle - a rolling boil will have a larger effective surface area than a slow simmer.

Re: Pot vs. Pot

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:55 pm
by Jayme
It is also possible to have too great an evaporation rate! I've read 10% is ideal, but I did closer to 25% for quite a while and didn't notice much change - other than I use less propane now.

The extra space would be handy, but still not worth it IMO.

Re: Pot vs. Pot

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:12 pm
by LeafMan66_67
Not trying to hijack the thread, but since evap rate is being discussed, what do people see as their evap rate in a 58L keggle? I'm dropping 6L per hour.

Re: Pot vs. Pot

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:16 pm
by RubberToe
6L per hour electric with camco 5500W at 60-70%.

Sent from the brew timer.

Re: Pot vs. Pot

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:30 am
by LiverDance
LeafMan66_67 wrote:Not trying to hijack the thread, but since evap rate is being discussed, what do people see as their evap rate in a 58L keggle? I'm dropping 6L per hour.
Mine is 12% per hour