Methylene Blue

A spot to talk general homebrew
Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Methylene Blue

Post by Jayme » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:10 pm

We're getting geared up to do viability checks with our yeast, but I need to find some stain. Does anyone have any experience with Methylene Blue? I'm not really sure where to purchase it. I found some for fish medication but I'm really not sure if it's just strictly Methylene Blue or would have other stuff in it too. I'm going off Jamil's yeast book but there's little info on where you might find the stuff.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Re: Methylene Blue

Post by NASH » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:19 pm

Should be available somewhere in town, possible even through a pharmacy. I've used it lots but never really checked an ingredient list, the stuff you found will likely work, there's an easy way to find out!

Out of curiosity....
Why are you doing viability counts?

Sent from the hop-phone.

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by Jayme » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:52 pm

For fun mostly! But we're going to keep some slants and try growing up our own yeast cultures. Only way to learn how is to try!

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:30 pm

Jayme wrote:We're getting geared up to do viability checks with our yeast, but I need to find some stain. Does anyone have any experience with Methylene Blue? I'm not really sure where to purchase it. I found some for fish medication but I'm really not sure if it's just strictly Methylene Blue or would have other stuff in it too. I'm going off Jamil's yeast book but there's little info on where you might find the stuff.
Definitely don't trust the fish stuff. Many years ago (probably before I got into aquariums, which is 40 years ago), aquarists treated Ich with methylene blue. By the 80s at the latest, the stuff they sold as Methylene Blue was nothing of the sort - it worked better for Ich, but it was a completely different [sorry, can't resist] ... kettle of fish.
Currently on tap: Nothing!
In keg: Still nothing.
In Primary: Doggone American Rye Pale Ale

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by Jayme » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:31 pm

Hmmm... tried Lawton's across the street and they don't carry it. And if the fish stuff should be avoided... anyone have ideas where else I might look?

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:26 am

Jayme wrote:Hmmm... tried Lawton's across the street and they don't carry it. And if the fish stuff should be avoided... anyone have ideas where else I might look?
Why not give the 'fish stuff' a go? It's not like you're going to pitch the cells you've extracted for counting. All that matters is that it'll dye dead yeast cells.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:36 am

I'll check with the lab next week. They have a huge room full of scary bottles. At the least, they might be able to find a source.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

ratchet
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ratchet » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:37 pm

mr x wrote:I'll check with the lab next week. They have a huge room full of scary bottles. At the least, they might be able to find a source.

VWR sells it.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:49 pm

Cool, I'll see who we deal with. John Garland might have some insight on sources as well.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

wortly
Verified User
Verified User

Post by wortly » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:08 pm

Check your protocol for how much you need. Most of these staining procedures require a stock solution that is miscible in either alcohol or water - make sure that you know which one. I am guessing that you won't need a whole lot, and it isn't something that you should be dumping down the drain.

If you asked 2 weeks ago I could have gotten some from my lab at NSAC, but I'm not working there anymore. I'll email you a contact at Dal where you will probably be able to get some. In the meantime figure out how much you need and let us know how it works out.
Aa

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by Jayme » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:13 pm

Thanks guys! I'm in Mahone Bay for the night but I'll check my information tomorrow night when I'm back in the city and try contacting the guy at Dal (thanks for the e-mail Aaron). If that doesn't pan out, can an individual order from VWR? I glanced at the site but haven't dealt with that company before.

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:47 pm

ratchet
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ratchet » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:14 am

I doubt that an individual can order from them (although it's always worth a try).

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:48 am

Here you go:

http://shop.ebay.ca/?_from=R40&_trksid= ... Categories

eBay - is there a better place to buy your new and used methylene blue? lol :mrgreen:

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:41 pm

ratchet wrote:I doubt that an individual can order from them (although it's always worth a try).
Sure you can, it's not dope! :D

GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Name: David Gillett

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

if you want to buy it from a lab supplier go to http://www.bioshopcanada.com/

I used to run a genetics lab and these guys have the best price for chemicals compared to any other supplier. A quick search revealed this, its powdered and $18 (it'll make up a lot of liquid stain): https://ssl34.alentus.com/bioshopcanada ... Pin=MET201

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by Jayme » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:31 pm

I had looked on Ebay before but only the fish stuff turned up before. Now this is there:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Methylene-Blue-Biolo ... 5197f2fe65

$10, easy as can be. I asked my roommate if he knew the prof at Dal Aaron suggested and turns out he has the dye in his lab (why he didn't say so sooner, I do not know..) But it's just as easy to buy a little bottle. Seems like ebay is cheaper than lab supply companies, although if I continue using it, I may order some powder eventually.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”