Page 1 of 1
Boiling in erlenmeyer
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:28 pm
by Jimmy
When you guys use a erlenmeyer make a starter, do you place the erlenmeyer directly on your stove? I've got a ceramic stove top and I'm sketched out every time I place the flask on it. Am I just being paranoid or should I use another method?
Re: Boiling in erlenmeyer
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:41 pm
by Tim Gregory
I used mine on ceramic and it didn't explode or anything, lol. But I was terrified the whole time so I'd like to hear an official response too.
I'd say the bigger threat is boil overs though. It can creep up to the top of that flask pretty quick.
Re: Boiling in erlenmeyer
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:44 pm
by jeffsmith
I'm curious about this as well. I know it's generally recommended to not place them directly on electric coil-type burners, but where the ceramic is between the burner element and the flask. Though, I think I'd likely stick with boiling in a pot anyway since the risk of a boil over is a lot higher in a flask.
Re: Boiling in erlenmeyer
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:52 pm
by canuck
I placed my flask directly on the stove ONCE and haven't again since. The boilover was crazy and made a real mess! Other than the risk of boilovers, I see no reason why you can't use it. Btw, I have a ceramic top stove as well.
Re: Boiling in erlenmeyer
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:03 pm
by jeffsmith
I wonder if a few drops of FermCap would be enough to quell a boil over in a flask?
Re: Boiling in erlenmeyer
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:19 pm
by Bryan
I've made several starters on a ceramic stove, boiling directly in the flask. I've had a couple boil overs (part of the learning curve)... but it all comes off with a little bit of elbow grease and a blade/scraper. To help prevent the boil overs, adjust the heat so it is just enough to boil the starter, gradually bringing it to a boil. Also, add FermCap as Jeff mentioned.
Re: Boiling in erlenmeyer
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:21 pm
by Bryan
jeffsmith wrote:I wonder if a few drops of FermCap would be enough to quell a boil over in a flask?
This will only work if you have the correct amount of heat under the starter... if you have too much heat, it will still boil over.
Re: Boiling in erlenmeyer
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:31 pm
by jeffsmith
So medium heat, watch like a hawk and swirl the flask? Sounds like it might be easier to boil and cool in a pot and pour into sanitized flask.
Re: Boiling in erlenmeyer
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:35 pm
by Bryan
jeffsmith wrote:So medium heat, watch like a hawk and swirl the flask? Sounds like it might be easier to boil and cool in a pot and pour into sanitized flask.
I find it a fairly easy process, but to each their own. I bring most of the water to a boil, then pour it into a mixing bowl to mix in the DME. I then pour it back in to the flask and bring it to a boil. So no swirling necessary.
Re: Boiling in erlenmeyer
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:47 pm
by Graham.C
I have coils on my stove, so I put a cast iron pan down then put the flask on that. Even heat and if I get a boil over it stays in the pan.
Re: Boiling in erlenmeyer
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:11 pm
by jeffsmith
Good plan.
Re: Boiling in erlenmeyer
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:13 pm
by mr x
I put my flask on the ceramic top and hammer the heat to it full throttle. A boiling chip (old stir bar) helps the boil.
Re: Boiling in erlenmeyer
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:07 pm
by sleepyjamie
I use mine on my ceramic at medium high
Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
Re: Boiling in erlenmeyer
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:01 pm
by Jimmy
I guess I'll keep using it on the ceramic, though I will probably still be sketched out the whole time

Re: Boiling in erlenmeyer
Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:18 am
by GillettBreweryCnslt
Jimmy wrote:I guess I'll keep using it on the ceramic, though I will probably still be sketched out the whole time

yeah, I put it on my ceramic top and crank it to high. no problems thus far, a drop of fermcap solves my boil over issues.