Page 1 of 1

My IPA has been in secondary for 4 days, few questions

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:08 pm
by chiasson
Hi all,

This is my first post here. What an amazing resource!

So, after a long hiatus (10 years maybe) I've jumped head first back into brewing and I'm pretty much learning the basics all over again. To shorten the learning curve I was hoping someone here could help by answering a few questions for me. I'm presently brewing an IPA (the Best Coast IPA from Nobel Grape). It was in primary (a bucket) for 3 days during which time all seemed well and has now been in a carboy for 4 days. It still looks to be doing well (it's clearing up) but activity in the airlock seems to be slowing down, and fast; it might burp only every 5 minutes, maybe longer. I was wondering if this is normal or if perhaps the temperature may be a little cold; it's at 68F right now (measured by a stick on thermometer). Could it be slowing down already. Note: not knowing any better I pitched hot, 76F.

Very much looking forward to being an active BrewNoser.

Chiasson
(Wolfville)

Re: My IPA has been in secondary for 4 days, few questions

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:11 pm
by mr x
68 is a good temp. Slowing down is normal.

:welcome:

Re: My IPA has been in secondary for 4 days, few questions

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:19 pm
by Jimmy
Yeah, after a week visible fermentation should be slowing down quite a bit; you should be good!

And welcome :cheers2:

Re: My IPA has been in secondary for 4 days, few questions

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:09 am
by chiasson
Great news!

Thanks for the speedy replies.

Re: My IPA has been in secondary for 4 days, few questions

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:12 am
by chiasson
test

Re: My IPA has been in secondary for 4 days, few questions

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:21 am
by Bryan
7 days is sounds pretty normal for that activity. When the airlock stops bubbling, make sure to check your final gravity.

Re: My IPA has been in secondary for 4 days, few questions

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:19 am
by Graham.C
Bryan wrote:7 days is sounds pretty normal for that activity. When the airlock stops bubbling, make sure to check your final gravity.
I always give it a couple days/week more then when the air lock stops showing signs.

Re: My IPA has been in secondary for 4 days, few questions

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:23 am
by Bryan
Graham.C wrote:
Bryan wrote:7 days is sounds pretty normal for that activity. When the airlock stops bubbling, make sure to check your final gravity.
I always give it a couple days/week more then when the air lock stops showing signs.
Agreed, I do the same.