A spot to talk general homebrew
akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Cheap(ish) Brewing equipment

Post by akr71 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:54 pm

http://www.brewhardware.com/

I stumbled across this site today. The guy has a limited selection of stuff, but the prices are better than MoreBeer (the only place I checked them against) and will ship to Canada by USPS.

A refractometer for $32.99, weldless siteglass for $24.95 (tho' my calibrated metal rod seems to work just fine).
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Re: Cheap(ish) Brewing equipment

Post by LiverDance » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:02 pm

I've bought from Bobby before, he has good stuff.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:02 pm

Yeah, I'm happier with the metal rod for my keggle. But I do like the SG for the HLT. I've told Bobby_M before that I don't like his design though - no isolation valve incase the rod leaks/breaks. And they do...

I can source some of that stuff for us anyway if you wanted to go without the isolation valve.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by akr71 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:13 pm

I could really use a refractometer and have given some thought to a site glass on my HLT. I'll leave it for a coulple of weeks and if there is enough interest maybe we can put together a group order.

LD - did you pay the extra for priority/trackable shipping?
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:35 pm

You can build that yourself for probably half what it will cost to buy it from the US...and refracts are cheap on eBay.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:42 pm

I just got my stuff shipped regular USPS
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by akr71 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:23 pm

I've often though that building a site glass would be a fun and simple little project, it just hasn't been a priority.

Wow, just checked ebay - definitely the route I'm gonna take. Anybody ever ordered from Hong Kong (and got what they thought they were ordering)?
Andy

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:43 pm

Yup, all the time. That's where my refract came from. Even after dousing the lens with wort and ripping it apart to clean it, it still reads bang on with my hydrometer.

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by akr71 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Would you buy this one? I fail to see why one for 'grape wine' wouldn't be acceptable for wort, especially if it measures 0-40 Brix. Plus it looks like I ould get a cheap pH meter and calibrating buffer from the same supplier.
Andy

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kyle

Post by KMcK » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:04 pm

akr71 wrote:I could really use a refractometer and have given some thought to a site glass on my HLT. I'll leave it for a couple of weeks and if there is enough interest maybe we can put together a group order.
I'm interested in a refactometer too and would be interested in going in a on a group order at that price. Alternatively if you find a better deal on eBay and can get two, please let me know.
akr71 wrote:Anybody ever ordered from Hong Kong (and got what they thought they were ordering)?
I ordered from Hong's Kitchen once and got what I thought I was ordering (but sometimes with Chinese food you never know).
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:10 pm

akr71 wrote:Would you buy this one? I fail to see why one for 'grape wine' wouldn't be acceptable for wort, especially if it measures 0-40 Brix. Plus it looks like I ould get a cheap pH meter and calibrating buffer from the same supplier.
Looks like the one I bought, lol. There are some other ranges out there as well, that would be good if you are under 1.080, but they cost a bit more IIRC. I like this one for RIS/Barleywine, etc., and it's been pretty easy to read to the accuracy I need.

I can get you a kick ass pH meter and all the buffer you need... ;)

Edit: This one might have the range I use:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Brix-Refractometer-0 ... 3a636ad4d1

moxie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Patrick

Post by moxie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:21 pm

I've been mulling over Bobby's sightglass kit (The T one specifically since I've already got a weldless thermometer in my pot. I've corrosponded with him a bit over at HBT, and he will accomodate some special orders.

As for Hong Kong, well, I ordered a digital thermometer from over there once for $1.00. I recieved the right item in the mail shortly thereafter, but I also had about 10 phantom charges attempted on my credit card. So no, I would not recommend ordering from Hong Kong.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:25 pm

Use paypal. I've order literally dozens of items with not one issue.

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by akr71 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:40 pm

mr x wrote:Use paypal. I've order literally dozens of items with not one issue.
I've never had any issues with ebay or paypal (well, a couple items took a long time to ship, but I got them) and I've bought tons of stuff from a bass guitar to (vinyl) records to fossils. If the seller has a low rating or less than stellar feedback, they don't get my business - and always on a card with a relatively low limit. I've never bought any sort of calibrated or scientific instruments though, so I just wanted to know if I could expect acceptable quality.

Now, about that pH meter...
Andy

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:06 pm

Dow Corning lab quality unit. I came across a bunch that were thrown in the garbage. They have a bunch of used probes that should be good enough - and I think you can actually still get the probes new. You can try it anyway.

I've used cheap pH meters before - never again. Even the higher prices cheap ones, like Hanna didn't last long.

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kyle

Post by KMcK » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:21 pm

mr x wrote:Dow Corning lab quality unit. I came across a bunch that were thrown in the garbage.
If you have a few I wouldn't mind one, too.
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

moxie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by moxie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:24 pm

mr x wrote:Use paypal. I've order literally dozens of items with not one issue.
The transaction was through paypal, so it's not invincible. I am not sure how it happened, but TD solved the issue instantly, blocking all pending transactions, while Paypal gave me a hard time for their error. I ended up just closing my paypal account outright. I would rather keep my money local if possible, anyway. Like I said, TD knew something was up immediately and blocked about 10 strange transactions worth about 5k.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:48 pm

I've never heard of anybody getting CC fraud though paypal before, but I guess anything's possible. Was it though eBay as well?

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:51 pm

KMcK wrote:
mr x wrote:Dow Corning lab quality unit. I came across a bunch that were thrown in the garbage.
If you have a few I wouldn't mind one, too.
I'll see what I can do. You'll need your own dc transformer (9 or 12v IIRC).

moxie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by moxie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:25 pm

mr x wrote:I've never heard of anybody getting CC fraud though paypal before, but I guess anything's possible. Was it though eBay as well?
Yes. One small payment went through, then a barrage of expensive transactions were halted immediately by TD, but went through on PayPal. Just be aware and keep an eye on your statement! Sometimes these thieves will just make infrequent and small transactions so you don't even notice if you don't pay close attention.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:49 pm

Wow, I was under the impression that the receiving party never sees the credit card number when using paypal. That being said, I've always used sellers with high ratings and never had an issue.

ratchet
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ratchet » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:55 pm

the recieving party doesn't see your CC info.... unless Paypal has changed something that I'm not aware of.

moxie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by moxie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:05 pm

I have no idea how it happened, PayPal was not willing to give me any details about it. My account was inactive for about 2 years, used to make the Hong Kong transaction, and boom, within 3 hours, phantom charges on my CC.

ratchet
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ratchet » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:38 pm

I would suspect that it's either a freaky coincidence... you have spyware on your PC... or paypal had a security breach.

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:06 am

moxie wrote:
mr x wrote:I've never heard of anybody getting CC fraud though paypal before, but I guess anything's possible. Was it though eBay as well?
Yes. One small payment went through, then a barrage of expensive transactions were halted immediately by TD, but went through on PayPal. Just be aware and keep an eye on your statement! Sometimes these thieves will just make infrequent and small transactions so you don't even notice if you don't pay close attention.
Do you have a credit card tied to your paypal account? I always make a one-time credit-card payment into paypal when I make a purchase. I've found the system to work well enough that I use my real credit card, as opposed to the one we use for Internet purchases (which we have to keep fighting the bank to not raise the credit limit over $500).

And I use TD, too, so I definitely want to know! We've been very happy with their ability to track unusual purchases. My wife does keep close track of the billings - probably checking online every couple of days - and they caught somebody using her card number before she noticed, just a couple of weeks ago. And then there was the time she went to Toronto, and I knew about the fur coat she bought before she got home! ["Sir; Has your wife charged $X at so-and-so Furriers in the last hour." "Er, I didn't know she was going there... but I'm not surprised." It was her sister's fault.]
Currently on tap: Nothing!
In keg: Still nothing.
In Primary: Doggone American Rye Pale Ale

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”