Cheap(ish) Brewing equipment

A spot to talk general homebrew
akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Re: Cheap(ish) Brewing equipment

Post by akr71 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:24 am

derek wrote:I've found the system to work well enough that I use my real credit card, as opposed to the one we use for Internet purchases (which we have to keep fighting the bank to not raise the credit limit over $500).
:lol: I'm not surprised. I don't use TD, but I have the same problem. They finally got the idea when I called to cancel the card - they lowered it back down to $500 and it hasn't happened since.
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

Garak

Post by Garak » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:46 pm

Sounds more likely that you have spyware/malware on your computer. Unless your running a Mac or Linux, its very likely that your computer is infected with something. Even Macs and Linux boxes are not immune to malware, but just a lot less of a target. Even the best antivirus will miss the latest worms and other malware.

Its very easy to make a worm/virus/trojan that will log all your key presses looking for credit card numbers and passwords, and then transmit them to a hacked server in china somewhere.

Even government IT who have all kinds of security measures in place is constantly playing wack-a-mole with this type of malware.

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by akr71 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:56 pm

mr x wrote:Edit: This one might have the range I use:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Brix-Refractometer-0 ... 3a636ad4d1
Just bought it, or at least an identical one from the same vendor.
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by akr71 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:32 pm

It just arrived today safe and sound. :thumbup:

Two things made me laugh though. It came from King Fuk Street in Honk Kong (what can I say I like base humor) and the packaging. I'll post a pic when I get a chance, but it was in one of those inter-departmental envelopes - the kind where the flap is closed by winding a string around two little paper disks - not tape, no glue - nothing. The hydrometer is in its carrying case, in its little bubble wrap sleeve and all 10 pipettes. I wonder how many curious postal workers opened the envelope between Honk Kong and Amherst?

I have renewed faith in the global postal system. :clap:
Andy

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by akr71 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:28 pm

OK - I finally managed to test this puppy out :geek:

After I calibrated it with RO water, I got a reading of 1.016 from a fermenting beer. I checked it against my hydrometer and it read 1.012 :wtf:
OK, I decided to calibrate my hydrometer (not sure why I've never done that before) - RO water gave me a reading of 1.003. So now the 2 are off by only 0.001, which I can live with.
:spilly:
Andy

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”