Page 1 of 1
Pumpkin spice tincture
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:50 pm
by ryantr0n
I just racked my pumpkin beer to keg last night and I under-spiced it by a fair bit (see: 0 pumpkin spice flavor).
While I'm glad to be on the under-flavored instead of the over-flavored end of the spectrum, I would like to get a little more of a spice note in there.
My initial thought was a vodka and pumpkin spice tincture. Where it's already kegged, I'd like to keep non-liquid additions to a minimum.
Good idea? Any other suggestions for bumping it up a bit?
Re: Pumpkin spice tincture
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:53 pm
by mr x
Should work. No idea on the spices...
Re: Pumpkin spice tincture
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:39 pm
by jeffsmith
I'd say go for it, but a little at a time. You don't want to risk over spicing a whole keg at this point.
Re: Pumpkin spice tincture
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:41 pm
by GAM
I would say Jeff hit it on the head. Let me know if you need cheep vodka.
Sandy
Re: Pumpkin spice tincture
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:23 pm
by ryantr0n
I'm gonna brew up a bit tonight and let is sit and see what it tastes like - 1cup vodka to 1tbsp of blended pumpkin spice seem reasonable?
I'll probably add 1oz at a time, let sit for 3-5 days and test/repeat.
Re: Pumpkin spice tincture
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:41 pm
by mr x
1 cup of vodka seems like a lot to me.
Re: Pumpkin spice tincture
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:44 pm
by jeffsmith
mr x wrote:1 cup of vodka seems like a lot to me.
Same here, maybe just enough vodka to liquify the spices?
Re: Pumpkin spice tincture
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:04 pm
by Stusbrews
Does alcohol pull the flavors out of the spices better than plain ol water? And Rum would at least leave a bit of caramel, unlike voddy. You could also evaporate out the alcohol if you wanted to keep the abv the same. ( alcohol boils off at 172F)