Page 1 of 1

Wort chiller

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:27 pm
by HoweFox
Did my first (almost) full boil extract brew yesterday in a new 30qt turkey fryer. I had been doing Festa Brews before and I really enjoyed actually making the wort.

Anyway, cooling down the wort took longer then I liked, so I am looking for a wort chiller now. Any suggestions on what and where to get it? Would 25' be enough? I could just buy one at NG, but it seems a bit pricey. I could make one, but the copper seems so expensive that pre-made seems not that bad of a deal. My sister-in-law is going to go shopping in Bangor in a couple of weeks. Is there a place there that would have a good deal on one?

Thanks!

Re: Wort chiller

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:43 pm
by Stusbrews
More is better with chillers, so it depends on what size your kettle is. No point buying 50' of copper if it wont all fit in the pot. I use an 8 gal pot, and 30' is what fills mine. And works great. 200 > 75 in 15 min.

Re: Wort chiller

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:01 pm
by GAM
I have a counter flow that I got in a deel and never used.

Sandy

Re: Wort chiller

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:18 pm
by LeafMan66_67
I had the same 30qt turkey pot to start and made a 25' immersion chiller out of 3/8" copper from Rona. I think the copper was running somewhere around $24-$25. It took somewhere in the range of 25 minutes to chill down to 70 degrees.

I've since made a counter flow chiller out of the same 25' of copper, some wire and a 5/8" garden hose and that chills everything down in 10-12 minutes.

Re: Wort chiller

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:28 pm
by HoweFox
@Sandy Are you offering to sell?

@LeafMan Hmmm, maybe it isn't as expensive as I thought to make one myself. $25 is much better than $90. Thanks for the info.

Re: Wort chiller

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:47 pm
by GAM
[quote="HoweFox"]@Sandy Are you offering to sell?

Sure. I have no idea of the value.

Sandy