Page 1 of 1

carbonation

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:34 pm
by Stusbrews
Here's a silly question....do higher grav beers normally take much longer to naturally carb?
My tripel (9%) has been bottled for a month now, and is almost carbed to where I want it, but not quite yet. It was primed with lyles syrup, so I just put it down to that.
But I just sampled the wake n bake(8.8%) after 12 days, and almost nothing....and I used plain ol sugar for priming that one
Is this normal?? Or have I screwed up somehow? Wondering if I should have added some fresh yeast.... They're both getting better, but its slooow going!

Re: carbonation

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:38 pm
by berley
With higher-ABV beers, there's definitely a chance that the yeast in primary may be a little pooped-out by the time you bottle. I've had situations where it's gone either way... adding a bit of extra dry yeast at bottling is never a bad idea if you want to be safe.

Re: carbonation

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:54 pm
by Stusbrews
Thanx for that.....guess we'll see how they come out...just bottled another one at 8%, but not really happy with this one anyhow. But I do think adding more yeast will be the way I go in the future, even if its only a few grains/bottle.

Re: carbonation

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:59 pm
by berley
If I have a high-ABV beer, or one that's been in secondary/lagering for sometime, I'll add about 1/5-1/4 pack of rehydrated dry ale yeast to the bottling bucket. I'm sure most of the time it's not necessary, but like I said, better safe than sorry.