Page 1 of 1
Carbonation temperature?
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:16 am
by chiasson
Another newb question for ya'll

. So I finally got my ipa into bottles and I've been storing them in a spare closet. My concern is the ambient temperature. Our place hovers around the mid 60s and I'm just wondering if I'm asking for trouble, I.e., risking that my beer won't carbonate keeping it at that low of a temp?
Re: Carbonation temperature?
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:48 am
by know1
I had some issues with bottle carbing when keeping them in my garage around the same temp. I was worried something screwed up when I cracked a couple flat ones but I pulled them inside for two weeks and they carbed up nicely.
My advice is to keep them at 65-70 long enough to carbonate if you can. Otherwise the yeast may crash or just take a really long time.
Re: Carbonation temperature?
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:53 pm
by chiasson
I got them on top of my fridge under a fleece blanket now. It's 22-23C / 73F. I'm wondering if they're too hot now

.
Re: Carbonation temperature?
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:48 pm
by OntarioBeerkegs
My personal preference I get the best results for when bottle carbing is this. Carb at the same temperature that yeast strain is reccomended to ferment at. The priming sugar is waking up that same strain with more food to do it's job again.
Re: Carbonation temperature?
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:57 pm
by berley
Mid-60s isn't too low, and mid 70s isn't too high. May take a bit longer in the mid-60s, but either way you're fine.
Re: Carbonation temperature?
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:04 pm
by Hoodie
New to the board. Solutions to lots of my rookie questions are easily findable here. Had the same question about carbonation temp.