Burner & regulator choice

A spot to talk general homebrew
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Burner & regulator choice

Post by Jimmy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:21 pm

I am going to order the burners and regulator for my brew stand this week but unsure of what I should order.

Anyone have any experience with these burners? Chris, I believe the BG10 is what you guys use but was wondering if the BG12 would be a better choice for the 2 extra dollars?

My other question is what pressure regulator should I get? 15, 20, or 40 psi?

Here are the 2 burners, click the image for link to specs:

bg10.jpg

bg12.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chalmers
Name: Chris

Re: Burner & regulator choice

Post by chalmers » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:01 pm

LiverDance owns a BG12 (or equivalent), and our other brewing buddy owns a pair of BG10s. Both are great, I think the BG12 does give more BTUs, which is always nice on a winter's day.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but while some burners are designed to work best at a certain pressure regulator, you could use the higher pressure regulator with any of the burners, just need to adjust the flow to get the perfect flame going (which isn't always going to be when the regulator is wide-open).

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:23 pm

chalmers wrote:LiverDance owns a BG12 (or equivalent), and our other brewing buddy owns a pair of BG10s. Both are great, I think the BG12 does give more BTUs, which is always nice on a winter's day.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but while some burners are designed to work best at a certain pressure regulator, you could use the higher pressure regulator with any of the burners, just need to adjust the flow to get the perfect flame going (which isn't always going to be when the regulator is wide-open).
So by the sound of it, the BG12 is worth the extra $2? As for the regulator, I guess I am better off going with a higher pressure reg and adjusting it back to the required pressure?

ratchet
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ratchet » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:10 am

not necessarily a high-pressure one (it is possible to go overboard)

Find out what pressure that burner is designed for, and get the closest reg. that is higher than that (assuming you're not using a crazy long length of feed hose that will result in a huge pressure drop)

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:17 pm

ratchet wrote:not necessarily a high-pressure one (it is possible to go overboard)

Find out what pressure that burner is designed for, and get the closest reg. that is higher than that (assuming you're not using a crazy long length of feed hose that will result in a huge pressure drop)
What I was thinking, was that if I had 2 or 3 burners (max of 2 on at a time) I would need a regulator rated for a higher psi than what the burner is rated for. That way I could just build a manifold and run all burners off the 1 tank/reg.

ratchet
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ratchet » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:49 pm

gotcha.

you just need to check that your regulator will hve enough flow output to run three burners.

I can't imagine it wouldn't

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”