In other forum, it was recommended that I purchase my starter keg kit from Ontario Beer Kegs. My question now is should I look at getting the dual tap system for 265 or the single for 135 (with the CO2 tank)? I have a fridge that I bought off kijiji that will fit at least two kegs.
http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Dual_Tap ... regkit.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Single_T ... hrough.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can I just add a second tap later or does it make more sense to go with the two now if I think I will move in that direction?
Should I upgrade the taps to Perlick for $27 per tap?
Should I get their CO2 tank - alumunim alloy or just the steel tank from NG (65 and 92 for 5-10 lb tank)
What is the consideration for ball lock or pin lock?
Should I pay $8 more for threaded vs barbed?
Are the used kegs fine or should I consider upgrading to new (5 gallon new =$50/keg)?
Will the drip tray easily connect to the Fridge door?
Are there any other essentials that would be best to order from OBK to get now as I place my order? I dont have thermometers etc yet or can I just get those from NG.
Does anyone else need anything from OBK and want to save the shipping?
Thanks in advance for the advice.
Earl
Kegerator Starter Kits
- Earl
- Verified User

- Posts: 56
- Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:34 pm
- Name: Earl Hoeg
- Location: Bedford/Halifax
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Kegerator Starter Kits
I'll take the easy questions. Get the high end Perlick taps. FWIW, I think Perlick actually makes the cheaper taps, but we call the better quality ones 'Perlick'.
Used kegs are fine so long as they hold pressure, and aren't smashed in too badly.
Used kegs are fine so long as they hold pressure, and aren't smashed in too badly.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: Kegerator Starter Kits
I'll answer another easy one.
I prefer the NG route for c02 tanks. There's no concern of hydro inspections of the tank when you go the NG route, the tank gets swapped out for a new one each time you go in, and NG is responsible for the hydro test. It's also nice to be able to just walk in - 7 days a week and during retail hours (not Don Brentons hours), and swap your tank out for a full one.
I will warn you though - if you do buy your own tank from OBK and take it in to NG for a swap out, you'll probably end up with a less shiny tank in return..if that matters to you.
I prefer the NG route for c02 tanks. There's no concern of hydro inspections of the tank when you go the NG route, the tank gets swapped out for a new one each time you go in, and NG is responsible for the hydro test. It's also nice to be able to just walk in - 7 days a week and during retail hours (not Don Brentons hours), and swap your tank out for a full one.
I will warn you though - if you do buy your own tank from OBK and take it in to NG for a swap out, you'll probably end up with a less shiny tank in return..if that matters to you.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests