Page 1 of 1
Stout OG?
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:33 pm
by chiasson
My second brew, a guinness clone, is in primary. Pre pitch it was 1.038. Does this make sense or did I screw something up? I don't know the starting OG for the recipe unfortuately.
Re: Stout OG?
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:39 pm
by Jimmy
Edit: just checked the brewmasters warehouse recipe and it's OG is 1.040 - so it sounds like you're close
Re: Stout OG?
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:54 pm
by berley
Yeah, 1.038 sounds good to me for a Dry Stout.
Re: Stout OG?
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:53 am
by chiasson
Fantastic news! Thanks again everyone.
Re: Stout OG?
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:23 pm
by chiasson
She's in secondary.
Just curious what would be an ideal FG come bottling time?
Re: Stout OG?
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:15 pm
by derek
chiasson wrote:She's in secondary.
Just curious what would be an ideal FG come bottling time?
Whatever tastes good

I haven't made a stout, but really it's all about taste and mouth-feel, and I wouldn't worry about the actual gravity.
Re: Stout OG?
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:52 pm
by mr x
Just keep in mind that you want to make sure any adjuncts have fermented or the beer will be annoying to drink. 75% aa is my standard for stouts.
Sent from my Nexus S
Re: Stout OG?
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:24 pm
by berley
chiasson wrote:She's in secondary.
Just curious what would be an ideal FG come bottling time?
But if you really want a number to go by, with your OG, I'd say a FG of ~1.008 would be ideal...
Re: Stout OG?
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:37 pm
by chiasson
Awesome!
It was around 1.012 when I transfered to the carboy and it's definitely still fermenting; it's burping like mad even after three days.
Re: Stout OG?
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:27 am
by sleepyjamie
If its still fermenting I would leave it in the primary. You will find most people on here leave their beer in the primary for at least 2-3 weeks.
Re: Stout OG?
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:00 am
by chiasson
Your referring to fermenting in a sealed container such as a carboy I assume , not a bucket?
Re: Stout OG?
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:04 pm
by GillettBreweryCnslt
chiasson wrote:Your referring to fermenting in a sealed container such as a carboy I assume , not a bucket?
Most of us use buckets with an o-ring in the lid and an air lock. So yes, it is a sealed container, but it's also our bucket. If you leave the lid ajar for fermentation then it would most likely be best to rack it into the carboy after 5-7 days, but once you close that lid and fit an air-lock into it then you can leave it for weeks without worry of oxygen or contamination.
At this point I only use a carboy either when I'm out of buckets, or when I have something that needs to have a long secondary fermentation like a lambic or lager.