Page 1 of 1
propane burner
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:44 am
by amartin
Hi Everyone,
I'm in the market for a propane burner that will hold the weight of a keggle with 13 gallons of beer in it, so roughly 140 lb.
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index ... ane+burner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - This looks fairly sturdy, does anybody have any experience with it?
Re: propane burner
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:57 am
by LiverDance
amartin wrote:Hi Everyone,
I'm in the market for a propane burner that will hold the weight of a keggle with 13 gallons of beer in it, so roughly 140 lb.
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index ... ane+burner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - This looks fairly sturdy, does anybody have any experience with it?
Same burner I have, it'll do just fine. I've had a 60 liter batch on it before and it didn't flinch. One thing I did do to it though is raise the burner height as I found it too far from the keggle bottom..
Re: propane burner
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:16 am
by GAM
It's really low as well. A pump or raising it up would be a good idea. Try to riig up a heat shield aswell.
Sandy
Re: propane burner
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:48 am
by amartin
Oh, that is low. How do you raise it up? Also, it says that there is a heat shield, do you think it needs a better one? I'll probably be using it in the garage.
Re: propane burner
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:12 am
by LiverDance
amartin wrote:Oh, that is low. How do you raise it up? Also, it says that there is a heat shield, do you think it needs a better one? I'll probably be using it in the garage.
In the garage you should be fine. I have mine up on a different ground level so I get enough of a drop to go into my bucket. It'll depend where your outlet valve is on your kettler. A bucket height is approx. 17" to clear it.
Re: propane burner
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:11 am
by wortly
amartin wrote:Oh, that is low. How do you raise it up? Also, it says that there is a heat shield, do you think it needs a better one? I'll probably be using it in the garage.
I have this one as well. It works really well. I prop up the burner so that it is closer to the bottom of the keggle and my neighbour made a sheet metal shroud for me as a windbreak.
Re: propane burner
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:00 pm
by amartin
Dumb question, but I'm not all that handy. How does one go about raising the burner?
Re: propane burner
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:08 pm
by wortly
amartin wrote:Dumb question, but I'm not all that handy. How does one go about raising the burner?
I either use my chimney starter or some blocks of wood to prop it up.
Re: propane burner
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:17 pm
by LiverDance
wortly wrote:amartin wrote:Dumb question, but I'm not all that handy. How does one go about raising the burner?
I either use my chimney starter or some blocks of wood to prop it up.
I use a stacker stone.
Re: propane burner
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:37 pm
by RubberToe
Cinder blocks should do the trick too.
Re: propane burner
Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:37 pm
by spears104
I this burner on sale at Walmart for about $40 during the summer. I'd check to see if they had any left.
The only thing I noticed is that it doesn't do well with any wind. it is unable to boil the pot if there is any breeze. Put it in a sheltered location and it works fine.