Fermencap-S?

A spot to talk general homebrew
moxie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Patrick

Fermencap-S?

Post by moxie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:42 pm

Anybody with experience using this stuff? It is supposed to prevent boil overs and keep krausen under control. Just looking for some feedback, and curious about whether or not it is available anywhere locally, or alternatively, if any online retailer ships it up here.

Any of you guys used it?

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Re: Fermencap-S?

Post by mr x » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:45 pm

I used a different version of this (another silicone based defoamer). Killer stuff. Really works great. Don't find it does much for krausen control on a wicked fermentation event (other than starters), but it is awesome for the boil kettle. I can get you some of the stuff that I use. Or talk to a certain professional brewer about a small sample. It literally only takes one drop in a keggle.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

moxie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by moxie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:04 pm

mr x wrote:I used a different version of this (another silicone based defoamer). Killer stuff. Really works great. Don't find it does much for krausen control on a wicked fermentation event (other than starters), but it is awesome for the boil kettle. I can get you some of the stuff that I use. Or talk to a certain professional brewer about a small sample. It literally only takes one drop in a keggle.
If I was boiling in a keggle that would be one thing, but with my 8 gallon kettle, extra headspace is not a luxury I have at all. :lol:

I was pretty skeptical about the krausen control, but any way I can limit the risk of a boil over, the better.

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:53 pm

I ordered some of this online:
http://www.homebrew-supplies.ca/viartsh ... em_id=1080

5-Star also has a new anti-foam product coming out that I ordered as well to compare the two ($0.99, how can you go wrong?) but it's not in stock yet and I've been waiting forever for this order to ship!

http://www.homebrew-supplies.ca/viartsh ... em_id=1502

Robert is the top one what you've been using? I've been having boil overs just about every batch (also using a somewhat undersized pot) and while it's fine right now, I think come spring time when the downstairs neighbors start using their balcony again they may have something to say about boiling hot wort falling down through the cracks!
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:14 pm

I've been using food grade silicone defoaming agent that we have at work.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

moxie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by moxie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:14 pm

mr x wrote:I've been using food grade silicone defoaming agent that we have at work.
Interested in trading a little bit? Is it a liquid? Some sort of tab?

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Post by NASH » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:48 pm

I've been using fermcap s for a long long time, for the boil and to keep krausen down, it works amazingly well for both and has quite a few side benefits. Increased alpha acid utilization (lower loss) in both the kettle and fermentation, increased head retention in the finished product, and the brewing vessels are easier to clean. In most breweries with conical unitanks it allows around 10 - 20% increase in batch size. The H&T total kettle volume is around 800L, using fermcap I can boil 650L without too many problems, without it's 500L, 550L max. I had to use it in the fermenters at Garrison, the Pump House and John Shippey's et al to keep it in the tanks but I seldom use it at the H&T because I usually loose over 100L to hops in the kettle so I'm not maxing the fermenters out, I do however still get blow-off sometimes. The downfall of fermcap s is that it cannot be sanitized without denaturing so it can be a little risky to use in the fermenter when you have a gallon jug of it that's been opened a hundred times. The defoamer 880 from 5 Star on the other hand is Canola oil based and can be autoclave'd, it's good to go up to 200 C!

Anyhow if you want some fermcap s for the kettle gimmie a holler anytime :cheers2:

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:08 pm

moxie wrote:
mr x wrote:I've been using food grade silicone defoaming agent that we have at work.
Interested in trading a little bit? Is it a liquid? Some sort of tab?
Stuff I have is liquid. The stuff Nash has is most likely a superior product tailored for brewing. But you can try some of mine if you like.

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:35 pm

Have you ever tried the 5-star stuff Greg? Just wondering how it compares to fermcap.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:31 pm

Jayme wrote:Have you ever tried the 5-star stuff Greg? Just wondering how it compares to fermcap.
No I haven't, it just hit the market over the past couple yrs and none of my suppliers carry it, well actually North Country carries it now - in 4 gallon cases, enough to last the H&T about 10 yrs with a rated shelf-life of 'at least 6 months'! It's been praised by pro brewers as being as good as fermcap AND it can be autoclave'd though :pow:

moxie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by moxie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:07 am

So it is added pre-boil, then again pre-ferm? Nash, Mr. X, I may have to take one of you up on that offer. I think with my kettle size, this stuff would make life much easier. Can I offer something for trade?

JohnnyMac
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by JohnnyMac » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:49 am

I'd like to grab some of that from you Greg next time I see you. I've been pushing the volume on my kettle and the boil overs are really becoming a distraction.
"It's not about the beer. It's about the beer." - Don Younger

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:25 am

Ditto here as well. Or maybe it warrants a group buy, as there appears to be lots of interest.

TimG
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tim Gallant

Post by TimG » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:32 am

I'd be up for some as well.

Thanks,

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:37 am

No problem guys, I don't mind sharing some, everyone bring me a bottle or 2 of beer and you're in! :lol:

I don't add it to the kettle until it's full, it's less effective if added earlier. I think some of it gets stuck to the kettle walls as wort level rises so finish your lauter then add it. I don't recommend adding mine to your fermenter since my gallon jug has been opened a hundred times.

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Post by akr71 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:22 pm

chalmers wrote:Ditto here as well. Or maybe it warrants a group buy, as there appears to be lots of interest.
I'd certainly like to try some too & would be interested if a group buy gets going.
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:39 pm

Another supplier I deal with sells it in 500ml size for $15 but i just placed an order with them the other day so it'll be a while before I order again.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”