I made up a starter of belgian ale wlp575 on wednesday night hoping to brew today. There was no noticable activity until this morning (friday) so about a 36 hour lag. Its seems to be going good now and I've decided to push off the brew until sunday but I gave it a sniff and it has what almost seems to be a bit of a sour smell. I know yeast and CO2 can smell pretty funky but it's got me seriously worried. I was planning on using it for a 30L belgian dubbel batch that'd I really don't want to lose. I'm thinking maybe I should scrap it and pick up a smack pack.
Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?
yeast starter - pitch it or dump it?
- know1
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 866
- Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 9:59 pm
- Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite
- Location: Sackvegas
yeast starter - pitch it or dump it?
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider
-
TimG
- Verified User

- Posts: 1414
- Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:38 am
- Name: Tim Gallant
- Location: Kingston, ON
Re: yeast starter - pitch it or dump it?
Taste it?
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: yeast starter - pitch it or dump it?
Starters will often smell wierder than normal brews. They will often have a lot of acetylaldehyde / sour apple smell... one of mine on the weekend did too. Also, I think a lot of Belgian strains experience a bit more lag than other ale yeasts. Perhaps the yeast you pitched didn't have a decent cell count?
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: yeast starter - pitch it or dump it?
I've had really sour and odd starters with the unibroue strain. Beers were fine.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- know1
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 866
- Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 9:59 pm
- Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite
- Location: Sackvegas
Re: yeast starter - pitch it or dump it?
Thanks, that lends some assurance for sure. The yeast was one of the 'past due' from the last group buy in which I should have anticipated the lag.RubberToe wrote:Starters will often smell wierder than normal brews. They will often have a lot of acetylaldehyde / sour apple smell... one of mine on the weekend did too. Also, I think a lot of Belgian strains experience a bit more lag than other ale yeasts. Perhaps the yeast you pitched didn't have a decent cell count?
Right on, that's reassuring that its probably finemr x wrote:I've had really sour and odd starters with the unibroue strain. Beers were fine.
I definitely will!TimG wrote:Taste it?
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider
- Dirt Chicken
- Verified User

- Posts: 971
- Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:00 pm
- Name: Paul
Re: yeast starter - pitch it or dump it?
if it doesn't smell like a fart, use it! 
Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2
Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2
- know1
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 866
- Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 9:59 pm
- Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite
- Location: Sackvegas
Re: yeast starter - pitch it or dump it?
Taste test results: it's all good!!!!
Thanks for the reassurance guys.
I poured off about an ounce into a glass and it still had the tart aroma but after swirling it must have drove off the CO2 to unveil the wonderful phenolic taste and aroma I would expect from a belgian yeast. I am now/again greatly looking forward to this batch.
thanks again!
Thanks for the reassurance guys.
I poured off about an ounce into a glass and it still had the tart aroma but after swirling it must have drove off the CO2 to unveil the wonderful phenolic taste and aroma I would expect from a belgian yeast. I am now/again greatly looking forward to this batch.
thanks again!
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest