Page 1 of 1
Crash Cooling
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:31 am
by Bryan
I just wanted to know how the Brewnosers prepare their beer for kegging.
Typically, I let my beer sit for a few days on the yeast after it finishes fermenting, then I turn the fridge on for a few days (to get the beer down to about 32-34 °F). I then rack it to the keg and put the CO2 on it.
What do you do ? Are there any disadvantages to crash cooling ?
Re: Crash Cooling
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:51 am
by Graham.C
Your doing more then me. I usually forget about it or get busy and leave it in the carboy a week or two longer then planned. When I do get around to kegging, I put it in a part of my place that is not insulated overnight, so it crashes to whatever the room gets too (This morning it was 5C).
Cheers,
Re: Crash Cooling
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:11 am
by GAM
I have crashed but that requires more planning than I usually have time for.
Sandy
Re: Crash Cooling
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:38 pm
by mr x
This.
Re: Crash Cooling
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:23 pm
by sleepyjamie
I usually crash for a minimum of 2 days sometimes up to a week depending on my schedule. Around 5 deg c
Re: Crash Cooling
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:09 pm
by GillettBreweryCnslt
I'm super lazy...
Leave it in an air-locked primary usually for 2-4 weeks depending on if I have time and/or remember that I've got stuff fermenting. Rack it into a keg, purge and pressurize the keg and let it sit in my basement until such time that I have a spare tap (0-12 months). Then I enjoy.
Re: Crash Cooling
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:58 pm
by canuck
Fishdisease wrote:I'm super lazy...
Leave it in an air-locked primary usually for 2-4 weeks depending on if I have time and/or remember that I've got stuff fermenting. Rack it into a keg, purge and pressurize the keg and let it sit in my basement until such time that I have a spare tap (0-12 months). Then I enjoy.
That's pretty much what I do as well. Once kegged, I do cold condition them in my fermentation fridge (or in my garage now that it's colder).
Re: Crash Cooling
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:15 pm
by Jayme
I will generally transfer from the carboy to a keg with a cask widge installed (it floats so pulls the beer from the top to bottom), dry hop in there (if dry hopping), add some gelatin that's been dissolved in a bit of boiling water, crash cool over night and transfer off. It's a bit of effort, but I think it's worth it.
Re: Crash Cooling
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:13 pm
by CorneliusAlphonse
i syphon from my primary to a keg. that's it.
in one instance, i sucked up too much trub and my diptube clogged, so i had to syphon into another keg. that was a pain, so i am more careful not to pick up much trub now.
i generally am not concerned in the least about the clarity of the final product (generally, they are hazy)
Re: Crash Cooling
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:19 am
by Bryan
Great input everyone...
My main concern with crash cooling was oxygen intake through the air lock.
The more I think about it, the less I think this a real concern, as I don't think the slight vacuum in the carboy is going to overcome the airlock head pressure.
Re: Crash Cooling
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:25 am
by mr x
oh it can, but I make sure the beer is done and use my carboy nipple plugs.
Re: Crash Cooling
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:46 am
by Jimmy
Yes - I've had it happen. I was using a blowoff tube and it picked it up from the bucket of starsan that the tube was submerged in. It actually sucked about 2 cups into my fermenter. Lesson learned and I started using buckets with the lids snapped on to ferment.