Broken Sight Glass
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:30 pm
I am looking for suggestions so history does not repeat itself.
While brewing last weekend I had an unfortunate incident that involved my sight glass breaking during my boil. I was throwing a few darts while the boil was in progress and when I look over I see boiling wort spewing out of the sign glass near the elbow. I quickly transfer the wort into my hot liquor tun and finish out my brew day. I lost a little wort but not too much.
My issue is that I was nowhere near the sight glass when it broke. It did not get bumped, nothing hit it or dropped on it. It was a polycarbonate type from brewhardware. I am worried about adding another as I am worried about this happening again. Should I be concerned or was this just a freak breakage? I am thinking about plugging the hole and using other methods to measure my liquid (ie a measuring stick).
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
While brewing last weekend I had an unfortunate incident that involved my sight glass breaking during my boil. I was throwing a few darts while the boil was in progress and when I look over I see boiling wort spewing out of the sign glass near the elbow. I quickly transfer the wort into my hot liquor tun and finish out my brew day. I lost a little wort but not too much.
My issue is that I was nowhere near the sight glass when it broke. It did not get bumped, nothing hit it or dropped on it. It was a polycarbonate type from brewhardware. I am worried about adding another as I am worried about this happening again. Should I be concerned or was this just a freak breakage? I am thinking about plugging the hole and using other methods to measure my liquid (ie a measuring stick).
Any suggestions would be appreciated!