Cold crashing

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
crabby hermit
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm
Name: Richard Worth
Location: Cape Breton

Cold crashing

Post by crabby hermit » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:14 pm

I added some pellet hops to an extract brew. It is now ready to keg do I wait for it to clear a bit before I keg or can I cold crash to speed up the process? If so how long do it usually take to cold crash? Thanks.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Cold crashing

Post by mr x » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:17 pm

Cold crashing can take quite a variable amount of time depending on the yeast and your expectations. I crash for a week and then it's ready for me to keg.

Sent from my Nexus S
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

crabby hermit
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm
Name: Richard Worth
Location: Cape Breton

Re: Cold crashing

Post by crabby hermit » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:29 pm

Appearance is not an issue for me. Hop particles gives the beer character ,however last time I didn't wait long enough and had issues with clogged dip tubes and poppits. Thanks again for your guys help.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Cold crashing

Post by mr x » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:10 pm

hmmmm, I've put some pretty thick beer in my kegs, and I've never clogged a line. But I make sure there are no hops carried over.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests