East Coast Yeast

A spot to talk general homebrew
BBrianBoogie
Verified User
Verified User

East Coast Yeast

Post by BBrianBoogie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:44 pm

Anyone have any experience with their stuff?

For those wondering, it's a small 2 person operation that supplies one store in Trenton, NJ. I contacted them about getting a group order together, but I guess supply is too limited for that. I'm on a waiting list for when they get some in, and will be contacted. If anyone is interested, I'll likely get an order together with what I can get at that time. Lots of funky stuff, I'm looking in your direction Robert ;) Anyway, here's a list of strains/blends they sell, between $8-$10 apparently. They do have ice pack/insulation possible for shipping, which is certainly a good idea. I have no idea when this will actually happen, just thought I'd see who was interested.

ECY01 BugFarm: A large complex blend of cultures to emulate sour beers such as lambic style ales. Over time displays a citrusy sourness and large barnyard profile. Contains yeast (S. cerevisiae and S. fermentati), several Brettanomyces strains, Lactobacillus and Pediococcus. The BugFarm blend changes every year and can be added at any stage of fermentation. Now producing Bugfarm V (includes a newcomer – Brettanomyces custersianus).

ECY02 Flemish Ale: A unique blend of yeast and bacterial cultures. Produces dry beers with sourness and notes of leather, fruit, and cherry stone. Contains cultures including: S. cerevisae, Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, and Pediococcus. Perfect for Flemish reds, oud brune, and other sour ales. Designed to be pitched into primary fermentation, but can be added at any stage.

ECY03 Farmhouse Brett: Saison brasserie blend (ECY08) with a pure Brettanomyces isolate from a small but fascinating producer of Saison. Produces a fruity and funky profile with some acidity gradually increasing over time.

ECY04 BRETT blend #1: Three individual Brettanomyces isolates from lambic producers combined to give an aggressive brett presence in any beer. Vigorous, funky and acid-tolerant, the blend can be added at any stage of fermentation and is excellent for priming or re-yeasting.

ECY05 BRETT blend #9: A blend of Brettanomyces that produces a dry, leathery, horsy and/or goaty profile. Can have a pronounced barnyard character and be added at any stage of fermentation. Funk is in the house, so let it out.

ECY06 Berliner Weiss : Designed to be pitched into primary fermentation, the blend contains a Munich yeast and Lactobacillus delbreuckii subspecies delbreuckii in a traditional proportion of 4:1 yeast to Lactobacillus upon pitching.

ECY07 Scottish Heavy: Leaves a fruity profile with woody, oak esters reminiscent of malt whiskey. Well suited for 90/shilling or heavier ales including old ales and barleywines due to level of attenuation (77-80%). Suggested fermentation temp: 60-68°F.

ECY08 Saison Brasserie blend : A combination of several Saison yeasts for both fruity and spicy characteristics accompianied with dryness. Apparent Attenuation: up to 80%. Suggested fermentation temp: 75-85° F.

ECY10 Old Newark Ale: Sourced from a now defunct east coast brewery, this pure strain was identified as their “ale pitching yeast”. Good for all styles of American and English ales. Top fermenting, high flocculation with a solid sedimentation. Suggested fermentation temp: 60-68°F. Apparent Attenuation: 68-72%

ECY12 Old Newark beer: Sourced from the same defunct east coast brewery as ECY10, this pure strain was used as their “beer pitching yeast”. The strain has been identified as S. cerevisae, hence it is not a true lager strain, but should ferment at lager temperatures. Could this be the parent strain of Chico? Suggested fermentation temp: 58-68°F, Apparent Attenuation: Medium

ECY13 Trappist Ale: Traditional Trappist yeast with a complex, dry, fruity malt profile. Rated highly in sensory tests described in "Brew Like A Monk" for complexity and low production of higher alcohols. Apparent Attenuation: 74-76%. Suggested fermentation temp: 66-72° F.
Last edited by BBrianBoogie on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Re: East Coast Yeast

Post by mr x » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:47 pm

That's some crazy stuff. I do have some interest. How'd you hear about them?
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

BBrianBoogie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BBrianBoogie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:58 pm

The guy making them (Al B) has been around the boards (especially BBB) for quite a while, experimenting with different blends. I know he's given quite a number of them away for homebrewers to experiment with. A bunch of interesting sounding stuff. "Newark Ale/beer" is reportedly the old Ballantine strain BTW.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:18 pm

I was thinking the Newark might be the strain for Ballantines. BYO had an article a while back about cloning some of their old beers.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”