looking for some advice on getting into all-grain

A spot to talk general homebrew
JEH
Verified User
Verified User

looking for some advice on getting into all-grain

Post by JEH » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:26 pm

Hey guys,
Im working on getting into all-grain brewing, and figure my next step is getting a proper brew kettle. Im looking at getting this corn boiler from canadian trash http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2 ... ?locale=en.
I figure that the one propane burner will have to do because building my own brew stand is out of the question for now. Do you guys think this is a good start or am i just wasting my money? Next I will have to look into building a mash tun, but that will be another day.
thanks
Jon
Serving:
-Strong Bitter
-Double Chocolate Espresso Stout
Fermenting/Conditioning:
-Robust Porter
-Raspberry Wheat
-American Pale Ale

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Re: looking for some advice on getting into all-grain

Post by mr x » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:30 pm

I started out with a similar boil kettle, and probably did 25 brews before I decided that 10 gallon batches were the way to go for me. 7.5 gallons is tight, but a little defoaming agent should keep the boilovers under control. I wouldn't say it's a waste of money. It depends on a lot of factors...
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:31 pm

I'm no help when it comes to advice on the brew kettle, but here is an alternative you might be interested in. I know the Bayou Classic burners have a good reputation, and they seem pretty well priced. This website includes all brokerage and duties in their shipping cost, so there are no unexpected bills when the package arrives. I haven't ordered from them yet, but will be ordering a few burners from them in the next week or so.

http://www.hotplates.com/Gas-Burners-C73819.html

edit: and I believe a keggle will fit on most of the Bayou Classic burner stands without modification...just something else to think about if you ever go down that road.

Garak

Post by Garak » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:44 pm

I think Kents have larger aluminum pots for around $60 but I don't think it includes a burner. Its in there seasonal section.

JEH
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JEH » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:55 pm

Mr X: while 7.5g is still a little tight, im currently just using my stove top with a pot thats no more than 3 gallons or so. That pot would definitely be an improvement. As for the defoaming agent, I was just looking at the thread about that stuff so if a group order happened I would definitely get in on it. The current pot I use has also significantly improved my skill of watching a pot to make sure it doesn't boil over :D
Jimmy: Thanks for the link! I'm taking a look at the site now. My problem is that i'm very impatient and want to buy something to use this weekend. As for the keggle, ive looked at making one of those but definitely do not possess the tools or skill-set necessary to make one of those. I was surprised I was able to build a kegerator and still had a tough time with it haha.

This is probably a dumb question, but if I get something along these lines and build a mash tun our of a cooler should that be enough for a fairly simple start to all-grain brewing?
Again, thanks for your help guys I appreciate any input
Jon
Serving:
-Strong Bitter
Fermenting/Conditioning:
-Robust Porter
-Raspberry Wheat
-American Pale Ale

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:01 pm

Should get you started.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

RobD
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RobD » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:13 am

I have that exact same unit from Canadian Tire, and I've recently made my first all-grain batch. I had been using it for extract boils as the house "smelled" when I boiled it inside.

The unit I bought had been returned to Canadian Tire, and the instruction manual was not included. I had to do a lot of guessing with the assembly, but I got it all together.

It's got a 20-min timer on it. I discovered that by pushing on the "button" on top of the timer box, it will bypass the timer altogether. I found a nice cast iron fish decoration that my girlfriend brought with her when she moved in. I usually balance 1/2 the "fish" on a bucket and 1/2 on the button, and it works out perfectly. There are most definitely ways around this by taking the box apart and re-wiring, but I'm not there yet.

I haven't been able to get a nice blue flame, so my boil pot always ends up with a ton of soot on the bottom. From what I read, taking the burner apart and cleaning it out may fix it.

JEH
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JEH » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:56 am

Thanks for the input Ron. So do you have much trouble controlling the temperature on it, and more importantly on the over boil? Im pretty serious about getting one on my way home from work tomorrow. Any trouble on the first all-grain batch with it?
Jon
Serving:
-Strong Bitter
Fermenting/Conditioning:
-Robust Porter
-Raspberry Wheat
-American Pale Ale

RobD
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RobD » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:38 am

My very first extract batch using it, it boiled over, but I haven't had any issues since. I was a little too excited the first time.....I boiled wort, and I kept a big flame going to get it to heat as fast as possible. I didn't really pay attention to the temp of the wort, just that it wasn't yet boiling. Once I learned to have a little patience and take the flame down a bit when it's close to boil, no issues. Keep an eye on the thermometer, and you'll be fine. It's actually marked off for the boiling temperature, which I noticed on my 3rd or 4th boil.

I had no issues doing my first (and only) all-grain batch. :)

If you do get it, I'd love to get a copy of the owner's manual.

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Post by akr71 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:52 am

I started out with that very same burner and kettle, only bought at WallMart. It served me well, but I have one warning - that little black box and dial attached to the stand (just under the burner) is a timer. The burner will not work unless that timer is ticking away. You have to stay near the kettle and every 20 minutes crank that thing or your flame shuts off. Annoying as hell, but its sold as a deep fryer - unattended hot oil and all that.

I bought a 'corn & lobster boiler' from Kent and it didn't have a timer, but didn't have a kettle either. I have seen kettles sold separately at WallMart though.

Now that I have the second burner, I should really try and take that timer off.
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

ratchet
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ratchet » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:15 pm

why not just glue it in position?

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by akr71 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:28 pm

ratchet wrote:why not just glue it in position?
Cuz I'm not that clever :slap:

Last time I used it, the timer didn't work anymore - 1 too many boil overs may have killed it. The burner still worked though.
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

JEH
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JEH » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:36 am

Ron. I did buy it, so after ive made a batch with it this weekend your welcome to borrow the manual. Did you try looking for it online though? A lot of companies make that information public for situations like yours.
Serving:
-Strong Bitter
Fermenting/Conditioning:
-Robust Porter
-Raspberry Wheat
-American Pale Ale

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by akr71 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:30 am

Ron_Burgandy wrote:It's got a 20-min timer on it. I discovered that by pushing on the "button" on top of the timer box, it will bypass the timer altogether. I found a nice cast iron fish decoration that my girlfriend brought with her when she moved in. I usually balance 1/2 the "fish" on a bucket and 1/2 on the button, and it works out perfectly. There are most definitely ways around this by taking the box apart and re-wiring, but I'm not there yet.

I haven't been able to get a nice blue flame, so my boil pot always ends up with a ton of soot on the bottom. From what I read, taking the burner apart and cleaning it out may fix it.
Hmmm, I don't think the Walmart model has this 'button'. Same sooty yellow flame tho'

Edit: I should've read the whole thread the first time around... :oops:
Andy

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:00 pm

I had one of those Canadian tire burners/pots but I found it way too small so I got rid of it. Both Canadian Tire and Kent I believe have much larger aluminum stock pots (Canadian Tire has 2 sizes, I went for the smaller but would now recommend the larger) and I think Kent sells the burners on their own. It will cost a bit more this way, but I think it's worth it. I guess it's too late as it sounds like you've already fired it up! Hope it worked well!
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”