Ball lock connectors

A spot to talk general homebrew
TimG
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tim Gallant

Ball lock connectors

Post by TimG » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:16 am

So picked up some ball lock corny kegs this week, need to pick up the connectors and some tubing. Noble Grape as good as any to buy this stuff at?

1/4" tubing I assume?

Thanks

gyorke
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Gordon Yorke

Re: Ball lock connectors

Post by gyorke » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:23 am

Hello,
If you are up for shopping online and waiting for shipping you can save a little money. I purchased my first set from kegconnection.com and I think others on here have as well.
Beer line length and size is a bit more technical then generally expected. A beer line should be "balanced" with the pressure in the keg to ensure you get a good pour and not just a bunch of foam. There are a lot of resources available just search for "beer line balance". If you want to keep it simple and you are making a short run (ie. from keg to plastic faucet) then 5-7 feet of 3/16" should be fine. I have my kegs at 11psi and 5' of hose and it pours a little fast giving me a bit more foam than I like but is manageable with some practice. The beer hose diameter affects the restriction of the beer. Larger diameter means less restriction so if you buy 1/4" hose to serve your beer you will need quite a long length of hose ( about 20')
--Gordon

TimG
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tim Gallant

Post by TimG » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:45 am

Wow, had no idea.. glad I asked! I really need to do more kegging research.

Thanks for the info on the 3/16". Sounds like that is what I'll end up with for now. I do like a fair amount of carbonation in my beer so 11 psi sounds about right (right? ha). So 3/16" should work for me (I don't have a long run, and I'll buy 10 feet and adjust the length as required to get a good pour).

Won't wait for this first few connectors, but will plan any modifications ahead of time in the future.

Cheers

Tim

ratchet
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ratchet » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:19 pm

if you don't want to run a long length of line, you can use shorter lines with epoxy bayonets from McMaster Carr.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”