Decoction notes

A spot to talk general homebrew
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Decoction notes

Post by mr x » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:19 pm

A few things I noticed in doing this last decoction for my Munich Dunkel:

Go easy with the heat until you get the wort well up in temperature and give it time for the sugars and water to blend. I didn't do this, and I found that even with a thick base pot on a glass top stove, I quickly got heavy caramelization and a small scorched sugar spot in the bottom of the pot. Luckily, the sugars burned to the bottom stone hard, and did not contaminate the rest of the mash with burnt flavour. While stirring, I could feel the spoon scraping through thick goo on the bottom, which was the sugars coming out and quickly heating. After getting the heat down and stirring for a bit, the mash seemed to loosen up and I could get back up to a good boil, whereas I was getting to a scorch point at only 150ish in temperature before hand.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Re: Decoction notes

Post by akr71 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:57 pm

Hmm, good to know. I'm hoping to do my first decoction sometime soon. A Marzen/Ofest perhaps? I'm sure when I get around to it, I'll have a tun of questions (pun intended).

Would a double boiler help avoid the scorching and carmelization?
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Re: Decoction notes

Post by mr x » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:16 pm

Might help, but it would have to be a fair size to get any effect.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”