Page 1 of 1
CaCl & Lactic Acid
Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:05 pm
by akr71
Anybody know where I can get some? I'm running low. I popped by NG, but apparently they no longer stock it.
Re: CaCl & Lactic Acid
Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:08 pm
by mr x
Talk to a certain professional brewer about CaCl. Not sure about the lactic, might ask the same person about sources.
Re: CaCl & Lactic Acid
Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:11 pm
by akr71
Thanks! I'll mention it to him.
Re: CaCl & Lactic Acid
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:08 am
by BBrianBoogie
If you can source some, I'd be interested in some Lactic acid as well.
Re: CaCl & Lactic Acid
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:15 am
by akr71
I'll let you know what I find out. I might even check the pharmacy. While I'm at it I'm going to look for some Magnesium Chloride.
Re: CaCl & Lactic Acid
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:48 am
by John G
I think I have a 10 or 20 lb bag of CaCl from a long ago project. I'll double check tomorrow and get back to the board for those interested.
John
Re: CaCl & Lactic Acid
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:58 pm
by NASH
John G wrote:I think I have a 10 or 20 lb bag of CaCl from a long ago project. I'll double check tomorrow and get back to the board for those interested.
John
I'll take that bag off your hands brother! And anyone that wants any are welcome to it, for free of course.
If you don't have it afterall, I still have some for those in need.
Also, I have lots of lactic acid for anyone that wants some.
Re: CaCl & Lactic Acid
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:12 pm
by John G
Sorry, the large bag I was thinking about is powdered calcium carbonate, not calcium chloride. I have a smaller amount of CaCl2 I'd be willing to share if you need it right away though.
Re: CaCl & Lactic Acid
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:32 pm
by akr71
I still have enough for a couple of batches or so. I can probably survive until my next trip to the city (and hopefully raid Nash's supplies).
Re: CaCl & Lactic Acid
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:29 pm
by maltster
You can get a small jar (155g) of CaCl from Bernardin. It is sold as "Pickle Crisp" in the home preserving/canning section of the grocery store. I believe it is pure, as calcium chloride is the only ingredient listed on the jar.
http://www.bernardin.ca/pages/product_p ... php?pid=44
Re: CaCl & Lactic Acid
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:40 pm
by mr x
Very interesting.
Re: CaCl & Lactic Acid
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:21 pm
by akr71
maltster wrote:You can get a small jar (155g) of CaCl from Bernardin. It is sold as "Pickle Crisp" in the home preserving/canning section of the grocery store. I believe it is pure, as calcium chloride is the only ingredient listed on the jar.
http://www.bernardin.ca/pages/product_p ... php?pid=44
Sonofabitch! I saw it on the shelf at Home Hardware last Friday when I went looking for FoodSaver bags. At the rate I use it, 155g would last like 50 batches.
Re: CaCl & Lactic Acid
Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:48 am
by andrewtrsmith
Has anyone had any luck finding "Pickle Crisp" or another source of CaCL?
Re: CaCl & Lactic Acid
Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:53 am
by mr x
I've seen pickle crisp in a number of Superstores around the city. Just take a look around the canning section, it's Bernardin brand and is in a small bottle with a green lid IIRC. I'm pretty sure it's in Bayers Lake, the other stores I can't say for sure. Try the bigger ones.
Re: CaCl & Lactic Acid
Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:57 am
by andrewtrsmith
Its funny, you'd think i'd find it in the Porter's lake one last night but no luck. I'll try Portland street on the way home although I might need a segway to get around the entire place.
Re: CaCl & Lactic Acid
Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:15 pm
by BBrianBoogie
CaCl you can get at Noble Grape. You'll have to call Burnside NG and get them to bring it to whichever location is closest to you as they don't carry it as a regular item.
Re: CaCl & Lactic Acid
Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:52 pm
by maltster
andrewtrsmith wrote:Its funny, you'd think i'd find it in the Porter's lake one last night but no luck. I'll try Portland street on the way home although I might need a segway to get around the entire place.
Pickle Crisp (CaCl) should be also available at Canadian Tire, Wal-Mart, Home Hardware in the home canning/preserving section. Maybe even Zellers. I got mine at the local Co-op grocery store.