Any of you guys enter homebrew competitions?

A spot to talk general homebrew
moxie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Patrick

Any of you guys enter homebrew competitions?

Post by moxie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:05 pm

I have been browsing through the HBT recipe database, and am intrigued by how many of these recipes have received medals in competition... I don't have any delusions about winning a medal, but I have started reaching out to get educated feedback on my beers. If anything, it is a good way to improve my own brewing. My friends' feedback is not necessarily valuable considering some of the swill they choose to drink on their own dime. :lol: I did get some feedback on a brew from Chalmers, but he seems like such a nice guy, I'm not sure if I can trust him to give me any negative feedback. Haha. ;) At the end of the day, I enjoy the beers I make, but I know there is always room for improvement, and hey, who knows, maybe one day I will make something worthy of a medal!

Anyway, do any of you enter your brews at all? I missed the boat on the Garrison one that was posted recently, but I am looking for a place to enter a couple of my brews.
Last edited by moxie on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Re: Any of you guys enter homebrew competitions?

Post by Jimmy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:21 pm

moxie wrote:I have been browsing through the HBT recipe database, and am intrigued by how many of these recipes have received medals in competition... I don't have any delusions about winning a medal, but I have started reaching out to get educated feedback on my beers. If anything, it is a good way to improve my own brewing. My friends' feedback is not necessarily valuable considering some of the swill they choose to drink on their own dime. :lol: I did get some feedback on a brew from Chalmers, but he seems like such a nice guy, I'm not sure if I can trust him to give me any negative feedback. Haha. ;) At the end of the day, I enjoy the beers I make, but I know there is always room for improvement, and hey, who knows, maybe one day I will make something worth of a medal!

Anyway, do any of you enter your brews at all? I missed the boat on the Garrison one that was posted recently, but I am looking for a place to enter a couple of my brews.
It's true, he really did like it! Jmac, Chalmers, and myself went out to Garrison District Ale House last night and he mentioned how good your beer was. So contrats on brewing a tasty beer :cheers3:

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:25 pm

It is true Chalmers can't be trusted X) . Actually him and I were thinking of entering this one: http://www.alesclub.com/index.php/compo ... 8-open2011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think next year we should all make an effort to enter this one and get Brewnosers back on the map :pow:
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Name: Tim

Post by Tim Gregory » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:28 pm

I was thinking about entering myself. I wonder what it costs to ship a few bottles to Sask.

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:06 pm

Maybe this should be the general call for BNs who feel they have a comp-ready beer for the ALES NHC qualifier, we could ship them together.
They want 2 bottles of each entry, and it costs $5 per entry (plus shipping).

As for other comps, there were a few BNs who entered the Garrison Brew-Off this year (and the last two).

andrewtrsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Andrew Smith

Post by andrewtrsmith » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:29 pm

I entered the Garrison Brew-Off for the same reason you did, to get feedback, and I ended up placing in the finals. I say give it a shot. I personally won't have anything ready to go for the ALES open but maybe we can get a section on this board to discuss competitions. That way we can all share competitions we come across and save on combined shipping. Who knows, maybe we can get some more Maritime competitions if there is enough interest.
Sign's your not quite awake yet ... "Where the heck is RIS?"

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Post by akr71 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:00 pm

Keep checking here. I'm guessing its too late for March in Montreal, but I assume CABA will still have their annual competition in June.

A couple years ago I sent some stuff off to a New England comp. There's a few going on there in the fall.
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:27 am

akr71 wrote:Keep checking here. I'm guessing its too late for March in Montreal, but I assume CABA will still have their annual competition in June.

A couple years ago I sent some stuff off to a New England comp. There's a few going on there in the fall.
And here too: http://www.canadianbreweroftheyear.com/competitions.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Canadian Homebrew club of the year, anyone?

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:54 pm

moxie wrote:I did get some feedback on a brew from Chalmers, but he seems like such a nice guy, I'm not sure if I can trust him to give me any negative feedback.
You're right: he can't be trusted. He's only said nice things about my beer, too :-)
Currently on tap: Nothing!
In keg: Still nothing.
In Primary: Doggone American Rye Pale Ale

moxie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Patrick

Post by moxie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:01 pm

:lol:

Appreciate the links, guys. I would definitely be interested in bulk shipping if any of you BN'ers are considering sending some bottles off.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:09 pm

Me as well. AFAIK, March in Montreal is dead this year due to some kind of weird rift with CABA.

But this just up:

https://sites.google.com/site/montrealersmaymadness/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”