second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
glassgiant
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:36 pm
Name: Shawn Wilson
Location: Hammonds Plains, NS
Contact:

second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free

Post by glassgiant » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:53 pm

Hi all,
I've just boiled my second batch today. I had a few problems with my first batch, though it seems to have turned out okay. This is a Silly Yak gluten free. I think it will turn out to be very hoppy (I assume to mask the flavour of gluten free beer). :) I've got a couple questions: lessons learned during the first batch that I'd like to confirm.

According to the directions, I should transfer to carboy in 2-3 days, then in 7-10 days after that, transfer back to the bucket, then bottle from that. The directions say to never leave in the bucket for more than 5 days. If I understood all the people who helped me, they usually leave it in the bucket for the whole time, about 2 weeks, and bottle directly from that. Is that right? What happens to the sediment when you stir in the bottling sugar?
Bottled: Silly Yak gluten free, Mexican Cerveza, Dave's Russian Imperial Stout
Fermenting: Dave's Belgian Wit
Next Up: A lager, I think

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free

Post by mr x » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:02 pm

Any time I bottled, I took the beer from the primary to a secondary carboy where I primed it.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

chalmers
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5604
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
Contact:

Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free

Post by chalmers » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:50 pm

To expand on what you and X said, you are definitely safe keeping it in the primary for a couple of weeks (be sure the bucket has an airlock or you keep the lid semi-tight and "burp" it occasionally as the lid bulges).
On bottling day, mix up your priming sugar in some boiling water, let it cool, then dump that in a second bucket or carboy, and then transfer the beer on top of that, trying to keep the racking cane from picking up too much yeast from the bottom (there'll be enough in suspension to carbonate your beer). So: don't add the sugar water to the beer in the primary bucket, add it to a second bucket/carboy, and transfer the beer on top. Mix it well, and then bottle that liquid.
Glad we didn't scare you off with all of our suggestions!

User avatar
glassgiant
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:36 pm
Name: Shawn Wilson
Location: Hammonds Plains, NS
Contact:

Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free

Post by glassgiant » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:09 am

Okay, that makes a lot more sense than what I was picturing. I'll give that a try.

Do you read the gravity before or after the yeast on brew day (or does it matter)?

Also, I've noticed my porter is not lasting nearly as long as an equivalent volume of storebought, so I'd like to plan my next one. I want something summery: like a Red Stripe or Sol or Corona. Anyone have any suggestions?
Bottled: Silly Yak gluten free, Mexican Cerveza, Dave's Russian Imperial Stout
Fermenting: Dave's Belgian Wit
Next Up: A lager, I think

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free

Post by mr x » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:14 am

Easier to read OG before adding yeast, but it will make no difference.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:04 am

glassgiant wrote:Okay, that makes a lot more sense than what I was picturing. I'll give that a try.

Do you read the gravity before or after the yeast on brew day (or does it matter)?

Also, I've noticed my porter is not lasting nearly as long as an equivalent volume of storebought, so I'd like to plan my next one. I want something summery: like a Red Stripe or Sol or Corona. Anyone have any suggestions?
The Festa Brew Cervesa was good. Pretty sure NG has a Mexican extract / steping grain kit as well.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Stusbrews
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:00 am
Name: Stu

Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free

Post by Stusbrews » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:13 am

chalmers wrote: On bottling day, mix up your priming sugar in some boiling water, let it cool, then dump that in a second bucket or carboy, and then transfer the beer on top of that, trying to keep the racking cane from picking up too much yeast from the bottom (there'll be enough in suspension to carbonate your beer). So: don't add the sugar water to the beer in the primary bucket, add it to a second bucket/carboy, and transfer the beer on top. Mix it well, and then bottle that liquid.
Glad we didn't scare you off with all of our suggestions!
Also, mix it thoroughly, but gently(sanitized stirstick)..
you dont want splashing when transferring/mixing/bottling as O2 at that point is not good for the beer.

User avatar
glassgiant
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:36 pm
Name: Shawn Wilson
Location: Hammonds Plains, NS
Contact:

Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free

Post by glassgiant » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:06 pm

LeafMan66_67 wrote:The Festa Brew Cervesa was good. Pretty sure NG has a Mexican extract / steping grain kit as well.
Where do you get Festa Brew Cervesa? Just check NG site and didn't see it.
Bottled: Silly Yak gluten free, Mexican Cerveza, Dave's Russian Imperial Stout
Fermenting: Dave's Belgian Wit
Next Up: A lager, I think

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:18 pm

Its a seasonal - give them a shout to see if they will get it back again this year.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

HappyHopper
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:56 pm
Name: Jonathan - Sober Island Brewing Company
Location: Halifax

Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free

Post by HappyHopper » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:40 pm

It won't be here for a month or 2
In bottle:Up the Kriek without a mash paddle, (insert Witty name)pumpkin lambic

On Tap:

Fermenting/Conditioning:

Future Projects:Chimney Sweepers Wife dark peated Scottish Heavy, Ginger bread brown, Home for the holidays spiced rum Brown Ale, Black Eye RyePA, Black Ryno Swartzbeir

Beer Laid To Rest (brewed it, drank it, loved it)Malt-n-lava AIPA, Single hop Citra pale ale, Belgian Blond, deforestation Ale Spruce Rye IPA,

User avatar
Steve&ORChar
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:13 am
Name: Steve
Location: Sackville

Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free

Post by Steve&ORChar » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:24 am

NG has the Festa Brew Cervesa in stock now ...

User avatar
Wildcard
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm
Name: Robb
Location: Moncton

Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free

Post by Wildcard » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:09 pm

Festabrew doesn't make the cervesa. That's brew house that makes it. Difference is that brew house you ass 8 Gallons of water. If you need water just go to shoppers and get 2 4L jugs of water.

I bottle all batches atm. Haven't started kegging yet. What I do is 7 days tops in primary then 7 days in secondary. I'm using all glass, 6.5 gallon carboy and a 6 gallon secondary.

I rack from secondary to a bottling bucket and mix my primer. I don't use preset packs, weight out what I want for a end volumes of CO2. I normally do secondary as I alter my kits. If I didn't alter them, honey, coffee beans, vanilla, etc, I stick with a primary for how ever long I need till the gravity levels out and clarity comes through.

Those instructions are nice, but to be 100% honest. After a few kits you only want them if you're some how too drunk to remember what to do. Home brewing varies based on preference. Some do all out primary, some don't. You will find out what works for you with the beer you're making. Just take notes for everything you do, and only change one thing at a time if you're trouble shooting a batch.

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free

Post by Jimmy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Wildcard wrote:Festabrew doesn't make the cervesa. That's brew house that makes it.
Festa Brew does a seasonal Cerveza that they release every year

http://noblegrape.ca/beer/festa-brew-me ... l-release/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
dean2k
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1172
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:08 pm
Name: deano
Location: Sackville, NB

Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free

Post by dean2k » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:42 pm

So ... this Festa cervesa. It's no gluten free, correct? My wife would be all over that it were.
.............................................

User avatar
Wildcard
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm
Name: Robb
Location: Moncton

Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free

Post by Wildcard » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Nice! I didn't see it on their site, I may have to try it.

User avatar
Steve&ORChar
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:13 am
Name: Steve
Location: Sackville

Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free

Post by Steve&ORChar » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:56 pm

they dont usually show it, as it is a limited run

chalmers
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5604
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
Contact:

Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free

Post by chalmers » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:12 am

dean2k wrote:So ... this Festa cervesa. It's no gluten free, correct? My wife would be all over that it were.
You got it, NOT gluten free.

User avatar
dean2k
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1172
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:08 pm
Name: deano
Location: Sackville, NB

Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free

Post by dean2k » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:15 pm

chalmers wrote:
dean2k wrote:So ... this Festa cervesa. It's no gluten free, correct? My wife would be all over that it were.
You got it, NOT gluten free.
Thanks. But upon further reading, was I drunk when I typed that? Or was I doing my Speedy Gonzales impression? X)
.............................................

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests