Just How Good You Have It in NS, HRM!!

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
Greig
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:06 pm
Name: Greig McKellar

Just How Good You Have It in NS, HRM!!

Post by Greig » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:05 pm

Greetings Brewnosers,

Thought I would let you know how good you guys and gals have it with the access and opportunity you have in HRM to all you could ever need or want for Brewing and Wine making!

Been a while since I've been onsite here! I've moved away to Ontario specifically Trenton for work. I've been looking at getting back to the Brewing and Vinting scene. Trenton is located 100k either way between Kingston and Oshawa.
To Mark and Steve particularly, I hope you realize how good a service you have provided to your market here in Hfx, Dartmouth and Sackville!! I have been looking at what there is avail to the individual at most of the Home Brew and Wine Making stores available from Toronto to Kingston.. (Thank GOD for Long-Dist Pkgs!!)
I'm part venting here as there is really nothing available up here!! I have called every place that will come up from the yellow pages.411.ca/google looking for wine yeasts besides an 1118. I kept calling places as I couldn't believe that from TO to Kingston, I found but 3 yes 3 stores that had anything else but the 1118.. Worse still no one knew nor cared that you could vint with anything else!!
I have since found a place nearby that will supply items that might be needed. The same goes for hoping to find anything Wyeast or comparable beer or wine! I shall ask in another vent if anyone knows who in ON might stock Wyeast.

To make the point even more, some places will not even let you provide your own Lalvin yeast. I am not kidding!!
VinBon recently had an offer out there off WagJag offering a red or a white 4 week wine kit completely done on premises, you provide the bottles. Complete! They have since denied purchase if one asked (and provided the link off Lalvin's page describing what yeasts were good for what) if one could provide their own D47 packets to be used. Use the generic 1118, or they won't do it!! No shit!!

Honestly Brewnosers, you really do have it that good in Halifax-Dartmouth-Sackville!!

Greig
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:06 pm
Name: Greig McKellar

Re: Just How Good You Have It in NS, HRM!!

Post by Greig » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:11 pm

I almost forgot to mention that if you're anywhere close to a scratch brewer, simply adjuncts, grain, hops, yeast of course, or malts this part of South Eastern ON is vacant of choice!!

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Just How Good You Have It in NS, HRM!!

Post by Jimmy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:11 pm

Greig wrote:The same goes for hoping to find anything Wyeast or comparable beer or wine! I shall ask in another vent if anyone knows who in ON might stock Wyeast
These guys seem to have reasonable pricing and selection

http://www.torontobrewing.ca/servlet/th ... Categories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And OBK for everything else

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Just How Good You Have It in NS, HRM!!

Post by mr x » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:26 pm

You've got some other options as well:

http://www.areyouansob.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
McGruff
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 am
Name: Chris Storey
Location: Cavan, Ontario

Re: Just How Good You Have It in NS, HRM!!

Post by McGruff » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:49 am

There are at least six places that sell plenty of brewing supplies but most are in the GTA. I live in Peterborough and I mail order everything. I Googled "homebrewing supplies" and got plenty from Ontario on the first page. United Canada Malting Co. in Peterborough sells bags of grain and bricks of yeast and hops.

HappyHopper
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:56 pm
Name: Jonathan - Sober Island Brewing Company
Location: Halifax

Re: Just How Good You Have It in NS, HRM!!

Post by HappyHopper » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:12 am

Greig wrote:I almost forgot to mention that if you're anywhere close to a scratch brewer, simply adjuncts, grain, hops, yeast of course, or malts this part of South Eastern ON is vacant of choice!!

Hey Grieg we will ship you hops, yeast, grains, or anything else you need we ship a lot of stuff out that way and to nfld.
In bottle:Up the Kriek without a mash paddle, (insert Witty name)pumpkin lambic

On Tap:

Fermenting/Conditioning:

Future Projects:Chimney Sweepers Wife dark peated Scottish Heavy, Ginger bread brown, Home for the holidays spiced rum Brown Ale, Black Eye RyePA, Black Ryno Swartzbeir

Beer Laid To Rest (brewed it, drank it, loved it)Malt-n-lava AIPA, Single hop Citra pale ale, Belgian Blond, deforestation Ale Spruce Rye IPA,

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Just How Good You Have It in NS, HRM!!

Post by GAM » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:29 am

Contact Dave "Everwood Ave Brew Shop" and see what the shipping price would be.

Sandy
Last edited by chalmers on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed typos

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 53 guests