Page 1 of 1

Just How Good You Have It in NS, HRM!!

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:05 pm
by Greig
Greetings Brewnosers,

Thought I would let you know how good you guys and gals have it with the access and opportunity you have in HRM to all you could ever need or want for Brewing and Wine making!

Been a while since I've been onsite here! I've moved away to Ontario specifically Trenton for work. I've been looking at getting back to the Brewing and Vinting scene. Trenton is located 100k either way between Kingston and Oshawa.
To Mark and Steve particularly, I hope you realize how good a service you have provided to your market here in Hfx, Dartmouth and Sackville!! I have been looking at what there is avail to the individual at most of the Home Brew and Wine Making stores available from Toronto to Kingston.. (Thank GOD for Long-Dist Pkgs!!)
I'm part venting here as there is really nothing available up here!! I have called every place that will come up from the yellow pages.411.ca/google looking for wine yeasts besides an 1118. I kept calling places as I couldn't believe that from TO to Kingston, I found but 3 yes 3 stores that had anything else but the 1118.. Worse still no one knew nor cared that you could vint with anything else!!
I have since found a place nearby that will supply items that might be needed. The same goes for hoping to find anything Wyeast or comparable beer or wine! I shall ask in another vent if anyone knows who in ON might stock Wyeast.

To make the point even more, some places will not even let you provide your own Lalvin yeast. I am not kidding!!
VinBon recently had an offer out there off WagJag offering a red or a white 4 week wine kit completely done on premises, you provide the bottles. Complete! They have since denied purchase if one asked (and provided the link off Lalvin's page describing what yeasts were good for what) if one could provide their own D47 packets to be used. Use the generic 1118, or they won't do it!! No shit!!

Honestly Brewnosers, you really do have it that good in Halifax-Dartmouth-Sackville!!

Re: Just How Good You Have It in NS, HRM!!

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:11 pm
by Greig
I almost forgot to mention that if you're anywhere close to a scratch brewer, simply adjuncts, grain, hops, yeast of course, or malts this part of South Eastern ON is vacant of choice!!

Re: Just How Good You Have It in NS, HRM!!

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:11 pm
by Jimmy
Greig wrote:The same goes for hoping to find anything Wyeast or comparable beer or wine! I shall ask in another vent if anyone knows who in ON might stock Wyeast
These guys seem to have reasonable pricing and selection

http://www.torontobrewing.ca/servlet/th ... Categories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And OBK for everything else

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Just How Good You Have It in NS, HRM!!

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:26 pm
by mr x
You've got some other options as well:

http://www.areyouansob.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Just How Good You Have It in NS, HRM!!

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:49 am
by McGruff
There are at least six places that sell plenty of brewing supplies but most are in the GTA. I live in Peterborough and I mail order everything. I Googled "homebrewing supplies" and got plenty from Ontario on the first page. United Canada Malting Co. in Peterborough sells bags of grain and bricks of yeast and hops.

Re: Just How Good You Have It in NS, HRM!!

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:12 am
by HappyHopper
Greig wrote:I almost forgot to mention that if you're anywhere close to a scratch brewer, simply adjuncts, grain, hops, yeast of course, or malts this part of South Eastern ON is vacant of choice!!

Hey Grieg we will ship you hops, yeast, grains, or anything else you need we ship a lot of stuff out that way and to nfld.

Re: Just How Good You Have It in NS, HRM!!

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:29 am
by GAM
Contact Dave "Everwood Ave Brew Shop" and see what the shipping price would be.

Sandy