Bad yeast
-
spuds
- Verified User

- Posts: 202
- Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 5:37 pm
- Name: Bobby
- Location: PEI
Bad yeast
Made up a brew on Tuesday og:1052 and am expecting it to finish up around 1013. Had no liquid yeast on the go as it was a last minute thing. So I decided to use a couple of coopers yeasts, Pretty sure both were out of date, one more than the other. Open her up today as there seemed to be no activity. One of the yeasts seems to be just sitting on top and never really did anything (dead). Tested 1020. Do you think I should add another yeast or just let er sit for another week and live with it.
Drinking: Red Hook clone
Waiting on: Fruit beer
Waiting on: Fruit beer
- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: Bad yeast
I would try rousing the yeast at the bottom by gently swirling your bucket and then leave it for another week.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
-
spuds
- Verified User

- Posts: 202
- Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 5:37 pm
- Name: Bobby
- Location: PEI
Re: Bad yeast
Thanks LD thats what I was thinking also but I was also concerned that if one pack of yeast was dead that 7g may be not quite enough. Gave her a very gentle stir and we shall see how it goes in a week or so.
cheers
cheers
Drinking: Red Hook clone
Waiting on: Fruit beer
Waiting on: Fruit beer
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 40 guests