Keg Conditioning Pressure
-
GDoucet
- Verified User

- Posts: 69
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:52 pm
- Name: Ghislain
- Location: North End Halifax
Keg Conditioning Pressure
I have a brew that’s just about done clearing up in secondary and I’m about to transfer it to a keg. With my system, I can only have one keg on tap at a time so I won’t be drinking from this keg for a couple weeks. Just wondering what I should be doing in terms of gas in the keg I’m about to fill. Obviously I want to purge all the air from the keg once it’s filled, so I’ll pressurize it to about 10psi then vent the keg but after that I’m not sure what’s the best way to do this. I usually force carb my beer but I don’t know if this will affect the beer’s ability to condition in the keg. Is it going to kill off any yeast left over in the keg? Should I just put a little bit of pressure in the keg to keep the air off the beer or force carb it and leave it to my serving pressure until I put it on tap? Any advice about this is greatly appreciated.
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: Keg Conditioning Pressure
Do you have enough room in your serving unit to have the new keg on the CO2 and chilled while you keep your other one on the gas and serving?
Also, having your new keg carbed won't effect its ability to condition or kill the yeast because of the CO2.
If you can't have the new keg on the gas at the same time you can purge it with CO2, seal the lid, and let it sit outside your fridge no problem (provided it's not too too warm for a long period I guess). You could also prime your keg with sugar and naturally carbonate it while your old one is on but I'm guesing that would take 3 weeks or so.
Also, having your new keg carbed won't effect its ability to condition or kill the yeast because of the CO2.
If you can't have the new keg on the gas at the same time you can purge it with CO2, seal the lid, and let it sit outside your fridge no problem (provided it's not too too warm for a long period I guess). You could also prime your keg with sugar and naturally carbonate it while your old one is on but I'm guesing that would take 3 weeks or so.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
- BrooklandBrewer
- Award Winner 3

- Posts: 176
- Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:59 pm
- Name: Andrew
- Location: Brookland Brewing, Sydney, NS
Re: Keg Conditioning Pressure
I second this. Also, be aware that if you do not have the keg continually hooked up to your CO2 supply, you'll have to re-pressurize that keg periodically until the void above the liquid and the beer itself are equalized in pressure. Otherwise (I learned this the hard way) the keg will lose it's seal and oxygen/other things could possibly enter the keg and ruin the beer. This was at 10 psi so maybe priming it with 40 psi or something would remedy this situation. Maybe some others can speak more to this?RubberToe wrote:Do you have enough room in your serving unit to have the new keg on the CO2 and chilled while you keep your other one on the gas and serving?
Also, having your new keg carbed won't effect its ability to condition or kill the yeast because of the CO2.
If you can't have the new keg on the gas at the same time you can purge it with CO2, seal the lid, and let it sit outside your fridge no problem (provided it's not too too warm for a long period I guess). You could also prime your keg with sugar and naturally carbonate it while your old one is on but I'm guesing that would take 3 weeks or so.
Currently At Brookland Brewing, Sydney, NS:
In Kegs: Four Seas IPA, Belgian Witbier
In Carboys: Ordinary Bitter (Bitter Bonnette)
Bottled:
Next Brew: California Lager.
In Kegs: Four Seas IPA, Belgian Witbier
In Carboys: Ordinary Bitter (Bitter Bonnette)
Bottled:
Next Brew: California Lager.
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Keg Conditioning Pressure
I usually carb the keg naturally with priming sugar - pressurize to 20psi or so to seat the gaskets, and let it sit in storage to carbonate. That way, the extra kegs are always carbed and ready to chill.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
-
Sobeys
- Verified User

- Posts: 19
- Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:12 pm
- Name: Dave
Re: Keg Conditioning Pressure
Do you shorten the length of the stem on your kegs so the sediment from the natural carbonation stays at the bottom of the keg?LeafMan66_67 wrote:I usually carb the keg naturally with priming sugar - pressurize to 20psi or so to seat the gaskets, and let it sit in storage to carbonate. That way, the extra kegs are always carbed and ready to chill.
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Keg Conditioning Pressure
No, haven't had the issue. You may get a cloudy first pour or two, but once it is settled, all is fine.Sobeys wrote: Do you shorten the length of the stem on your kegs so the sediment from the natural carbonation stays at the bottom of the keg?
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
-
GDoucet
- Verified User

- Posts: 69
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:52 pm
- Name: Ghislain
- Location: North End Halifax
Re: Keg Conditioning Pressure
Thanks for all the replies. Once the keg is carbed, would leaving it at room temperature for say a month cause any problems? If it was left at room temperature for any longer what could be the possible problems?
Also, it seems like a few of you guys like to carb with priming sugar. What's the advantages/disadvantages of doing it this way?
Also, it seems like a few of you guys like to carb with priming sugar. What's the advantages/disadvantages of doing it this way?
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: Keg Conditioning Pressure
Besides that room temp (20 degrees?) isn't an ideal storage temperature for beer, I don't see a big problem. Just keep in mind that beer carbed at say 12 psi at 20 degrees will have less carbonation than beer carbed at the same psi at 4 degrees or whatever temp you serve at.GDoucet wrote:Thanks for all the replies. Once the keg is carbed, would leaving it at room temperature for say a month cause any problems? If it was left at room temperature for any longer what could be the possible problems?
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Keg Conditioning Pressure
I like priming sugar as I can leave the keg in many more places, and I find my carb level to be more repeatable.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest