Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
-
spears104
- Verified User

- Posts: 375
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
- Name: Jason Spears
- Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS
Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
I wanted to try something different so I thought I'd try a macro clone. I enjoyed Molson Export when I lived in Ontario and you can't get it around here, so I thought I'd give it a try.
There isn't much information available on the this. Their website mentions "Kent Golding Hops" and several "2-row barley varieties." I also found a mention of Nugget hops on Ratebeer. I'm guessing Nugget bittering to ~ 20 IBU's and Kent goldings for some flavour and aroma.
My real question is the yeast as they claim it is an old strain preserved at their brewery. Is it possible gather even a few yeast cells from a bottle or can of filtered beer to culture them? I think I have read about this before but not really sure how to go about it. Would you just dump a can of beer into a starter and hop something happens?
Thanks!
There isn't much information available on the this. Their website mentions "Kent Golding Hops" and several "2-row barley varieties." I also found a mention of Nugget hops on Ratebeer. I'm guessing Nugget bittering to ~ 20 IBU's and Kent goldings for some flavour and aroma.
My real question is the yeast as they claim it is an old strain preserved at their brewery. Is it possible gather even a few yeast cells from a bottle or can of filtered beer to culture them? I think I have read about this before but not really sure how to go about it. Would you just dump a can of beer into a starter and hop something happens?
Thanks!
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
- Tony L
- Award Winner 10

- Posts: 1848
- Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
- Location: Heart's Delight, NL
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
A lot of people will say why bother, but I won't. I say brew what you like.
Having said that, filtered beer from the big guys won't have any yeast in it that you would be able to culture. I would use Nottingham or other neutral yeast.
Pils malt with a little very light crystal ( if any ) mash at 150f for 90 and use the hops you think will give the flavour you want. I'm not familiar with the taste of
Molson Export so I wouldn't be able to give any help on that.
Having said that, filtered beer from the big guys won't have any yeast in it that you would be able to culture. I would use Nottingham or other neutral yeast.
Pils malt with a little very light crystal ( if any ) mash at 150f for 90 and use the hops you think will give the flavour you want. I'm not familiar with the taste of
Molson Export so I wouldn't be able to give any help on that.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
IIRC, seibel has that strain.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
Seibel BRY 264
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
-
spears104
- Verified User

- Posts: 375
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
- Name: Jason Spears
- Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
Tony - Molson Ex isn't on the top of the list of what I like, I'm just searching out a new challenge and learning experience.
X - for my education, how were you able to determine that the BRY 264 is the Molson yeast? Does Seibel sell yeast?
Thanks!
X - for my education, how were you able to determine that the BRY 264 is the Molson yeast? Does Seibel sell yeast?
Thanks!
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
Got that info from Nash, should be true. I don't think they do sell it in homebrew sizes.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- NASH
- CBA Award Winner

- Posts: 4085
- Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm
- Name: Nash
- Location: Halifax, NS
- Contact:
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
Correct, Seibel does sell yeast but not in homebrew sizes. Pump House uses the strain for all their mainstay ales. I'm sure Glen at the brewpub would hook most anyone up with some, or I could arrange it with him.
The most similar strain I know of is American Ale II from Wyeast.
You'll never find a live yeast cell in Molson products.
Transmitted from the hop-phone.
The most similar strain I know of is American Ale II from Wyeast.
You'll never find a live yeast cell in Molson products.
Transmitted from the hop-phone.
-
spears104
- Verified User

- Posts: 375
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
- Name: Jason Spears
- Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
What are the chances of finding live yeast in pumphouse beer?
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
- NASH
- CBA Award Winner

- Posts: 4085
- Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm
- Name: Nash
- Location: Halifax, NS
- Contact:
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
Nil. It's all filtered, and then...... pasteurized!spears104 wrote:What are the chances of finding live yeast in pumphouse beer?
-
spears104
- Verified User

- Posts: 375
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
- Name: Jason Spears
- Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
I guess I'll give the American Ale II a shot. Thanks for the info.
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
PH was describing their lager as naturally carbed, but I don't know if it's in bottles.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- NASH
- CBA Award Winner

- Posts: 4085
- Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm
- Name: Nash
- Location: Halifax, NS
- Contact:
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
Doesn't matter, it's all pasteurized.mr x wrote:PH was describing their lager as naturally carbed, but I don't know if it's in bottles.
Transmitted from the hop-phone.
- Tony L
- Award Winner 10

- Posts: 1848
- Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
- Location: Heart's Delight, NL
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
I think what the big boys call naturally carbed is when they save the CO2 from fermentation and reuse it.mr x wrote:PH was describing their lager as naturally carbed, but I don't know if it's in bottles.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
Not this one IIRC, they were doing classic refermentation.
Pumphouse Premium Lager (Moncton, NB)
A tribute to the Reinheitsgebot (beer purity law) of 1516, brewed using just barley, hops, yeast and water. Cold aged and matured for more than six weeks, there are no adjuncts, or artificial carbonation - resulting in a 100% natural lager.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- Tony L
- Award Winner 10

- Posts: 1848
- Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
- Location: Heart's Delight, NL
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
I know what we define natural carbonation as, but they may define natural as it came from the brew itself... we are just adding it back.mr x wrote:Not this one IIRC, they were doing classic refermentation.
Pumphouse Premium Lager (Moncton, NB)
A tribute to the Reinheitsgebot (beer purity law) of 1516, brewed using just barley, hops, yeast and water. Cold aged and matured for more than six weeks, there are no adjuncts, or artificial carbonation - resulting in a 100% natural lager.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
They don't say natural though, they say not artificial. Adding it back would be an artificial process to me. Capturing, compressing, storing, regulating with instruments. I can't see it being done any other way, but I don't know also.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
-
spears104
- Verified User

- Posts: 375
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
- Name: Jason Spears
- Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
Just reading through yeast descriptions. I have only used a handful of yeasts so I don't have experience with anything not handled by NG.
The description for Molson Ex says "subtle hints of apple" in its description of the flavour imparted by the yeast. I would tend to agree with this description.
The description of BRY 264:
A flocculent, bottom fermenting strain from England. Gives quick clarification of the beer after fermentation. Produces a clean ale type product, with an estery and slightly nutty character.
Description of American Ale II:
Expect a soft, clean profile with hints of nut, and a slightly tart finish. Ferment at warmer temperatures to accentuate hop character with an increased fruitiness.
These two definitely sound similar. Searching for English yeasts with apple characters I also found Burton Ale Yeast with the following description:
Providing delicious and subtle fruity flavours like apple, clover honey & pear.
Does anyone have experience with this yeast? If it may even be close I'd give it a try and split the batch and ferment half on American Ale II and half on the Burton.
Thanks for the advice.
Cheers!
The description for Molson Ex says "subtle hints of apple" in its description of the flavour imparted by the yeast. I would tend to agree with this description.
The description of BRY 264:
A flocculent, bottom fermenting strain from England. Gives quick clarification of the beer after fermentation. Produces a clean ale type product, with an estery and slightly nutty character.
Description of American Ale II:
Expect a soft, clean profile with hints of nut, and a slightly tart finish. Ferment at warmer temperatures to accentuate hop character with an increased fruitiness.
These two definitely sound similar. Searching for English yeasts with apple characters I also found Burton Ale Yeast with the following description:
Providing delicious and subtle fruity flavours like apple, clover honey & pear.
Does anyone have experience with this yeast? If it may even be close I'd give it a try and split the batch and ferment half on American Ale II and half on the Burton.
Thanks for the advice.
Cheers!
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
It's always been thought that the simple sugars in high percentages will give apple flavour, and I'm sure Molson is far from all grain....
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- CorneliusAlphonse
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 2988
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
Yeah the apple is likely not an ester (like the pear and apple listed for Burton ale yeast) but rather acetaldehyde. Which you generally want to steer clear of. Like x said, cause by high simple sugars (corn syrup)
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
-
spears104
- Verified User

- Posts: 375
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
- Name: Jason Spears
- Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
Their website says only 2-row malt. Macros wouldn't lie about their ingredients would they?mr x wrote:It's always been thought that the simple sugars in high percentages will give apple flavour, and I'm sure Molson is far from all grain....
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
Read my signature lately? 
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
But they don't say 2-row is the ONLY malt (or even the only fermentable). So they could have 0.1% 2-row and technically be telling the truth. And they mention 2-row maltS, which means there are probably some other roast levels, instead of the light 2-row.spears104 wrote:
Their website says only 2-row malt. Macros wouldn't lie about their ingredients would they?
And their quip about "Oregon hops" doesn't help a ton, there are many cultivars grown in Oregon.
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
- Tony L
- Award Winner 10

- Posts: 1848
- Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
- Location: Heart's Delight, NL
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
The tart flavour they describe in the yeast strain could probably be akin to an apple flavour.
-
spears104
- Verified User

- Posts: 375
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
- Name: Jason Spears
- Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
chalmers wrote:
And their quip about "Oregon hops" doesn't help a ton, there are many cultivars grown in Oregon.
I found another reference (Ratebeer I think) where Nugget hops are in the description (presumeably from an older ad campaign.) Probably just used as the bittering hop.
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
-
spears104
- Verified User

- Posts: 375
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
- Name: Jason Spears
- Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS
Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast
I've changed my goal here to just making a decent blonde ale that other people might like when they come to my house. Most of the beers I brew are on the extreme side (ie hops, roast, booze, etc) which can hide my flaws. I figure this style will show me all of my flaws!
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests