Page 1 of 1

Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:55 pm
by spears104
I wanted to try something different so I thought I'd try a macro clone. I enjoyed Molson Export when I lived in Ontario and you can't get it around here, so I thought I'd give it a try.

There isn't much information available on the this. Their website mentions "Kent Golding Hops" and several "2-row barley varieties." I also found a mention of Nugget hops on Ratebeer. I'm guessing Nugget bittering to ~ 20 IBU's and Kent goldings for some flavour and aroma.

My real question is the yeast as they claim it is an old strain preserved at their brewery. Is it possible gather even a few yeast cells from a bottle or can of filtered beer to culture them? I think I have read about this before but not really sure how to go about it. Would you just dump a can of beer into a starter and hop something happens?

Thanks!

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:28 am
by Tony L
A lot of people will say why bother, but I won't. I say brew what you like.

Having said that, filtered beer from the big guys won't have any yeast in it that you would be able to culture. I would use Nottingham or other neutral yeast.
Pils malt with a little very light crystal ( if any ) mash at 150f for 90 and use the hops you think will give the flavour you want. I'm not familiar with the taste of
Molson Export so I wouldn't be able to give any help on that.

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:59 am
by mr x
IIRC, seibel has that strain.

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:13 am
by mr x
Seibel BRY 264

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:56 am
by spears104
Tony - Molson Ex isn't on the top of the list of what I like, I'm just searching out a new challenge and learning experience.

X - for my education, how were you able to determine that the BRY 264 is the Molson yeast? Does Seibel sell yeast?

Thanks!

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:07 am
by mr x
Got that info from Nash, should be true. I don't think they do sell it in homebrew sizes.

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:59 am
by NASH
Correct, Seibel does sell yeast but not in homebrew sizes. Pump House uses the strain for all their mainstay ales. I'm sure Glen at the brewpub would hook most anyone up with some, or I could arrange it with him.

The most similar strain I know of is American Ale II from Wyeast.

You'll never find a live yeast cell in Molson products.

Transmitted from the hop-phone.

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:07 pm
by spears104
What are the chances of finding live yeast in pumphouse beer?

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:22 pm
by NASH
spears104 wrote:What are the chances of finding live yeast in pumphouse beer?
Nil. It's all filtered, and then...... pasteurized! :cheers2:

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:22 pm
by spears104
I guess I'll give the American Ale II a shot. Thanks for the info.

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:53 am
by mr x
PH was describing their lager as naturally carbed, but I don't know if it's in bottles.

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:09 am
by NASH
mr x wrote:PH was describing their lager as naturally carbed, but I don't know if it's in bottles.
Doesn't matter, it's all pasteurized.

Transmitted from the hop-phone.

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:31 am
by Tony L
mr x wrote:PH was describing their lager as naturally carbed, but I don't know if it's in bottles.
I think what the big boys call naturally carbed is when they save the CO2 from fermentation and reuse it.

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:33 am
by mr x
Not this one IIRC, they were doing classic refermentation.
Pumphouse Premium Lager (Moncton, NB)
A tribute to the Reinheitsgebot (beer purity law) of 1516, brewed using just barley, hops, yeast and water. Cold aged and matured for more than six weeks, there are no adjuncts, or artificial carbonation - resulting in a 100% natural lager.

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:47 am
by Tony L
mr x wrote:Not this one IIRC, they were doing classic refermentation.
Pumphouse Premium Lager (Moncton, NB)
A tribute to the Reinheitsgebot (beer purity law) of 1516, brewed using just barley, hops, yeast and water. Cold aged and matured for more than six weeks, there are no adjuncts, or artificial carbonation - resulting in a 100% natural lager.
I know what we define natural carbonation as, but they may define natural as it came from the brew itself... we are just adding it back.

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:57 am
by mr x
They don't say natural though, they say not artificial. Adding it back would be an artificial process to me. Capturing, compressing, storing, regulating with instruments. I can't see it being done any other way, but I don't know also.:)

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:34 pm
by spears104
Just reading through yeast descriptions. I have only used a handful of yeasts so I don't have experience with anything not handled by NG.

The description for Molson Ex says "subtle hints of apple" in its description of the flavour imparted by the yeast. I would tend to agree with this description.

The description of BRY 264:

A flocculent, bottom fermenting strain from England. Gives quick clarification of the beer after fermentation. Produces a clean ale type product, with an estery and slightly nutty character.

Description of American Ale II:

Expect a soft, clean profile with hints of nut, and a slightly tart finish. Ferment at warmer temperatures to accentuate hop character with an increased fruitiness.

These two definitely sound similar. Searching for English yeasts with apple characters I also found Burton Ale Yeast with the following description:

Providing delicious and subtle fruity flavours like apple, clover honey & pear.

Does anyone have experience with this yeast? If it may even be close I'd give it a try and split the batch and ferment half on American Ale II and half on the Burton.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers!

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:39 pm
by mr x
It's always been thought that the simple sugars in high percentages will give apple flavour, and I'm sure Molson is far from all grain....

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:30 pm
by CorneliusAlphonse
Yeah the apple is likely not an ester (like the pear and apple listed for Burton ale yeast) but rather acetaldehyde. Which you generally want to steer clear of. Like x said, cause by high simple sugars (corn syrup)

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:20 pm
by spears104
mr x wrote:It's always been thought that the simple sugars in high percentages will give apple flavour, and I'm sure Molson is far from all grain....
Their website says only 2-row malt. Macros wouldn't lie about their ingredients would they? :?

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:48 pm
by mr x
Read my signature lately? :lol:

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:03 pm
by chalmers
spears104 wrote:
Their website says only 2-row malt. Macros wouldn't lie about their ingredients would they? :?
But they don't say 2-row is the ONLY malt (or even the only fermentable). So they could have 0.1% 2-row and technically be telling the truth. And they mention 2-row maltS, which means there are probably some other roast levels, instead of the light 2-row.

And their quip about "Oregon hops" doesn't help a ton, there are many cultivars grown in Oregon.

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:12 pm
by Tony L
The tart flavour they describe in the yeast strain could probably be akin to an apple flavour.

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:38 pm
by spears104
chalmers wrote:
And their quip about "Oregon hops" doesn't help a ton, there are many cultivars grown in Oregon.


I found another reference (Ratebeer I think) where Nugget hops are in the description (presumeably from an older ad campaign.) Probably just used as the bittering hop.

Re: Cloning Molson Export - how to get the Molson yeast

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:41 pm
by spears104
I've changed my goal here to just making a decent blonde ale that other people might like when they come to my house. Most of the beers I brew are on the extreme side (ie hops, roast, booze, etc) which can hide my flaws. I figure this style will show me all of my flaws!