New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

A spot to talk general homebrew
User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by Jimmy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:54 pm

I've never looked into these, but the price seems reasonable :?:
keg.jpeg
Brand new hand made barrel carved from white oak and built using the best barrel making techniques. This barrel is made by artisans located in the town of Tequila, Mexico (birthplace of the world famous tequila), these artesans have long been making supreme quality barrels for the local tequila industry and now have applied their expertise in making these smaller versions barrels for your personal use in aging/storing liquors, wines, rum, beer, whisky etc.

~Barrels are charred on the inside to medium toast.
~Includes stand, spigot and bung
~Our kegs do not contain wax, paint or glue on the inside.
~By default we ship barrels varnished on the outside. If you would like it shipped un-varnish please specify "unvarnished" when ordering.

Barrel Measurements: 15" long and 11" in diameter.
**FREE Personalize Your Barrel With Your Name Or Logo

Good for that perfect personalized gift or to enhance your home or business with your unique barrel.

We offer the following options for customizing your barrel:
Your name or logo on the front of the barrel (please consider the diameter of the barrel when choosing a logo)
Blank front of barrel no logos or markings
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20L-Steel-Hoop- ... 0665610867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:11 pm

I am in the market for a oak barrel for some other "brewing" I do. But $100 seems pricey for what I want...just a plain ol' 20L oak barrel. I can get a used 200L one for that price.

spears104
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
Name: Jason Spears
Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by spears104 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:59 pm

I am very interested in getting an unused oak barrel. After reading Mitch Steele's IPA book and am dying to try to make a traditional IPA.
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by Jimmy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:01 pm

I'm sure Rob D will chime in here. I know he mentioned Ross @ Wine Kitz brought some 5g barrels in and I'm pretty sure they were significantly more than this.

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:13 pm

Yeah 100 bucks doesn't sound like too much for a new 20L barrel... Maybe a bit steep for beer, but for ..stronger products, 100$ extra on 20L isn't too much.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by mr x » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:55 am

Keep in mind that shipping is $50, and you might get hit with taxes/duty on that item.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:23 am

mr x wrote:Keep in mind that shipping is $50, and you might get hit with taxes/duty on that item.
O right. 200 sounds very much less enticing
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: Heart's Delight, NL

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by Tony L » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:34 am

mr x wrote:Keep in mind that shipping is $50, and you might get hit with taxes/duty on that item.
You shouldn't get hit with duty.. the barrel is made in Mexico ... NAFTA approved afaik

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by mr x » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:38 am

Yeah that's what I thought too, but I ordered some furniture form mexico before, and got hit with duty for some unknown reason. I couldn't be bothered fighting it as it wasn't a lot of money. I think the shipper paid it and then charged me, without understanding that it shouldn't have been done.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: Heart's Delight, NL

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by Tony L » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:43 am

mr x wrote:Yeah that's what I thought too, but I ordered some furniture form mexico before, and got hit with duty for some unknown reason. I couldn't be bothered fighting it as it wasn't a lot of money. I think the shipper paid it and then charged me, without understanding that it shouldn't have been done.
I think you could have requested a refund from the Gov. but like you said it might be more of a hassle than it was worth.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by mr x » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:46 am

The problem was the shipper and maybe Mexico in general. I've ordered stuff from West Africa that was less of a hassle. Never again, lol.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

spears104
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
Name: Jason Spears
Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by spears104 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:35 am

They would still probably be less expensive than these guys:

http://www.canadianoak.com/html/our-wine-barrels.html
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -

User avatar
Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:18 am
Name: Neil
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by Juniper Hill » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:09 pm

That's cheaper than any 5 G barrel I've seen. Mind you, barrels this small tend to have trouble with leaking.

User avatar
dexter
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:59 am
Name: Phil
Location: Halifax

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100wqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

Post by dexter » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:14 pm

A

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by Jimmy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:28 am

dexter wrote:A
Was that a pocket post? :lol:

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by mr x » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:10 am

Up until that one, i didn't realize you could change the title on an individual post after the OP.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
dexter
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:59 am
Name: Phil
Location: Halifax

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by dexter » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:18 am

Jimmy wrote:
dexter wrote:A
Was that a pocket post? :lol:

woops... :banana: :banana: :banana:

User avatar
canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
Name: Shane
Location: Quispamsis, NB
Contact:

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by canuck » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:51 pm

I ended up getting one of these. Total came to $123 USD shipped to my door and there also was no duty. I purchased mine from http://www.barrelsonline.com/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by jeffsmith » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Do you have to wax and swell it before you can use it?

User avatar
canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
Name: Shane
Location: Quispamsis, NB
Contact:

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by canuck » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:56 pm

jeffsmith wrote:Do you have to wax and swell it before you can use it?
Didn't have to wax it, but did fill it full of water and let it sit for a couple of hours to swell and check if there were any leaks.

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by jeffsmith » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:01 pm

canuck wrote:
jeffsmith wrote:Do you have to wax and swell it before you can use it?
Didn't have to wax it, but did fill it full of water and let it sit for a couple of hours to swell and check if there were any leaks.
Interesting. I may look into one of these myself. That's a pretty reasonable price!

User avatar
canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
Name: Shane
Location: Quispamsis, NB
Contact:

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by canuck » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:05 pm

jeffsmith wrote:
canuck wrote:
jeffsmith wrote:Do you have to wax and swell it before you can use it?
Didn't have to wax it, but did fill it full of water and let it sit for a couple of hours to swell and check if there were any leaks.
Interesting. I may look into one of these myself. That's a pretty reasonable price!
Yeah, I thought that the price was very reasonable myself. I kinda wish that I would of purchased two of them now. Maybe I'll purchase another one and have my new logo engraved on it. ;)

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by jeffsmith » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:07 pm

canuck wrote: Yeah, I thought that the price was very reasonable myself. I kinda wish that I would of purchased two of them now. Maybe I'll purchase another one and have my new logo engraved on it. ;)
Sounds like a good idea. :)

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:19 pm

I'd be in for a group buy if it made economical sense. I'd like 1.

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: New 20L Steel Hoop Oak Barrels - $100

Post by Jimmy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:31 pm

So I'm going to get my hands on one of these that's been used for aging wine. Is there any type of beer that would benefit the most from aging in a barrel that had previously been used for wine?

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests