White beer not very white (pics)

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Two Wheeler
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:19 am
Name: Jordan Harris
Location: Fredericton

White beer not very white (pics)

Post by Two Wheeler » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:13 pm

Hey all, brewed an extract kit from NG for my second batch. My first batch was a festa, so we'll call this my first batch. Steeping grains, DME, LME. The yeast strain was the wyeast liquid forbidden fruit yeast.. And the recipe called for a late addition of coriander and orange peel that was boiled in a cheese cloth and removed before fermenting. I fermented at 65f give or take 3f. It was in the primary for 4 days, secondary for 14 days, and has now been in the bottle for 4 weeks. The taste of it is great now. I tried one at 2 weeks and it was bad. At 3 weeks it was alright, but now it tastes pretty good. I didn't get much of the orange or coriander flavour though.

Anyway, I'm happy with it, but it doesn't look to style, as you can see. What happened here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:18 am
Name: Neil
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Post by Juniper Hill » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:52 am

Looks pretty golden to me. Very good looking, though. Was the kit does as a partial boil or a full boil?

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:24 am

If I recall, the NG extract kits say to add all of the extract at the start of the boil. This may give a darker color than expected than if you were to add half of the extract at the beginning of the boil and the remainder at 10 minutes remaning. Beer does look great though.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Post by mr x » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:40 am

I guess you were expecting it to be hazy, like a wit should be. I'm not much help, as I have never done extract.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Posts: 4085
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm
Name: Nash
Location: Halifax, NS
Contact:

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Post by NASH » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:01 am

Yah, I expect a Wit to be blonde and hazy :cheers:

Transmitted from the hop-phone.

User avatar
derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 1300
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:01 pm
Location: Musquodoboit Harbour, NS

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Post by derek » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am

Two Wheeler wrote:I didn't get much of the orange or coriander flavour though.
I find you have to pretty much overdo those things if you really want to taste them. In commercial versions, they're usually pretty subtle.
Currently on tap: Whiter Shade of Pale!
In keg: .
In Primary: Nothing

User avatar
Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1154
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:18 pm
Name: Tim
Location: Downtown Dartmouth

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Post by Tim Gregory » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:51 am

try gently rolling the bottle before opening to loosen the yeast a bit. that should help with the haziness.

2Hands-1Mouth
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:22 pm
Name: Kris

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Post by 2Hands-1Mouth » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:03 am

I have a friend who tried that exact kit, and he discovered the ingredients they provided weren't what they were supposed to be. I'm pretty sure that beer has ruined his life. Lol. I'll let him go into detail about it when he sees this.

User avatar
Two Wheeler
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:19 am
Name: Jordan Harris
Location: Fredericton

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Post by Two Wheeler » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:55 pm

Yeah Mr X, I was looking for a bit more haze/cloud. I held off on the extract... I put all of the DME in at boil, and half of the liquid, but saved the other half for flameout to improve color.

Overall, very happy with the beer, just wondering if it was process or recipe that made the beer clearer than expected.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Post by mr x » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:59 pm

I guess the first place to start would be to lay out the exact ingredients that you were given.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:25 pm

Yeah, they may have given you just pale LME and not wheat LME.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

HappyHopper
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:56 pm
Name: Jonathan - Sober Island Brewing Company
Location: Halifax

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Post by HappyHopper » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:41 pm

That recipie has LME and dried wheat malt extract.. Like one person mentioned the instructions tell you to put the extracts at the beggining of the boil. And as another suggests a simple agitation of the bottle before pouring will give you the haze. When I did extract I made that a few times and it was usually hazy but if left for long enough it would clear. If you feel there's a problem you can drop a bottle off at one of the stores and it will be sent for tasting .
In bottle:Up the Kriek without a mash paddle, (insert Witty name)pumpkin lambic

On Tap:

Fermenting/Conditioning:

Future Projects:Chimney Sweepers Wife dark peated Scottish Heavy, Ginger bread brown, Home for the holidays spiced rum Brown Ale, Black Eye RyePA, Black Ryno Swartzbeir

Beer Laid To Rest (brewed it, drank it, loved it)Malt-n-lava AIPA, Single hop Citra pale ale, Belgian Blond, deforestation Ale Spruce Rye IPA,

User avatar
ethier.sc
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 10:11 am
Name: Steve Ethier
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Post by ethier.sc » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:08 pm

2Hands-1Mouth wrote:I have a friend who tried that exact kit, and he discovered the ingredients they provided weren't what they were supposed to be. I'm pretty sure that beer has ruined his life. Lol. I'll let him go into detail about it when he sees this.
Thanks for outing me on this one. LOL
CorneliusAlphonse wrote:Yeah, they may have given you just pale LME and not wheat LME.
That's what it was in my case. I had gotten regular DME instead of Wheat DME. Unlike yours mine looked like a witbier but tasted... well... it didn't taste very good.

The ruining of my life that was mentioned was that I had dumped the keg and as I was dumping the six pack that I had bottled. I had popped the caps off the six pack and on pouring the first bottle down the sink I realized that it wasn't the noble white I had opened but my IPA. No biggie but I'm having a shortage right now and that was my last of my drinkable beer.

Really, I should have read what I was brewing with before I brewed instead of after. Lesson learned and it was what finally pushed me into AG.

Ingredients for the this white are:

100g 2 row
300g malted wheat
1kg light dried wheat malt extract
1.36kg lme
600g dextrose

Boling hops: 14g perle
finish with 5g coriander and 5g bitter orange peel

just out of curiousity, when did you add the dextrose?

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests