Page 1 of 1

White beer not very white (pics)

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:13 pm
by Two Wheeler
Hey all, brewed an extract kit from NG for my second batch. My first batch was a festa, so we'll call this my first batch. Steeping grains, DME, LME. The yeast strain was the wyeast liquid forbidden fruit yeast.. And the recipe called for a late addition of coriander and orange peel that was boiled in a cheese cloth and removed before fermenting. I fermented at 65f give or take 3f. It was in the primary for 4 days, secondary for 14 days, and has now been in the bottle for 4 weeks. The taste of it is great now. I tried one at 2 weeks and it was bad. At 3 weeks it was alright, but now it tastes pretty good. I didn't get much of the orange or coriander flavour though.

Anyway, I'm happy with it, but it doesn't look to style, as you can see. What happened here?

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:52 am
by Juniper Hill
Looks pretty golden to me. Very good looking, though. Was the kit does as a partial boil or a full boil?

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:24 am
by LeafMan66_67
If I recall, the NG extract kits say to add all of the extract at the start of the boil. This may give a darker color than expected than if you were to add half of the extract at the beginning of the boil and the remainder at 10 minutes remaning. Beer does look great though.

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:40 am
by mr x
I guess you were expecting it to be hazy, like a wit should be. I'm not much help, as I have never done extract.

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:01 am
by NASH
Yah, I expect a Wit to be blonde and hazy :cheers:

Transmitted from the hop-phone.

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am
by derek
Two Wheeler wrote:I didn't get much of the orange or coriander flavour though.
I find you have to pretty much overdo those things if you really want to taste them. In commercial versions, they're usually pretty subtle.

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:51 am
by Tim Gregory
try gently rolling the bottle before opening to loosen the yeast a bit. that should help with the haziness.

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:03 am
by 2Hands-1Mouth
I have a friend who tried that exact kit, and he discovered the ingredients they provided weren't what they were supposed to be. I'm pretty sure that beer has ruined his life. Lol. I'll let him go into detail about it when he sees this.

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:55 pm
by Two Wheeler
Yeah Mr X, I was looking for a bit more haze/cloud. I held off on the extract... I put all of the DME in at boil, and half of the liquid, but saved the other half for flameout to improve color.

Overall, very happy with the beer, just wondering if it was process or recipe that made the beer clearer than expected.

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:59 pm
by mr x
I guess the first place to start would be to lay out the exact ingredients that you were given.

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:25 pm
by CorneliusAlphonse
Yeah, they may have given you just pale LME and not wheat LME.

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:41 pm
by HappyHopper
That recipie has LME and dried wheat malt extract.. Like one person mentioned the instructions tell you to put the extracts at the beggining of the boil. And as another suggests a simple agitation of the bottle before pouring will give you the haze. When I did extract I made that a few times and it was usually hazy but if left for long enough it would clear. If you feel there's a problem you can drop a bottle off at one of the stores and it will be sent for tasting .

Re: White beer not very white (pics)

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:08 pm
by ethier.sc
2Hands-1Mouth wrote:I have a friend who tried that exact kit, and he discovered the ingredients they provided weren't what they were supposed to be. I'm pretty sure that beer has ruined his life. Lol. I'll let him go into detail about it when he sees this.
Thanks for outing me on this one. LOL
CorneliusAlphonse wrote:Yeah, they may have given you just pale LME and not wheat LME.
That's what it was in my case. I had gotten regular DME instead of Wheat DME. Unlike yours mine looked like a witbier but tasted... well... it didn't taste very good.

The ruining of my life that was mentioned was that I had dumped the keg and as I was dumping the six pack that I had bottled. I had popped the caps off the six pack and on pouring the first bottle down the sink I realized that it wasn't the noble white I had opened but my IPA. No biggie but I'm having a shortage right now and that was my last of my drinkable beer.

Really, I should have read what I was brewing with before I brewed instead of after. Lesson learned and it was what finally pushed me into AG.

Ingredients for the this white are:

100g 2 row
300g malted wheat
1kg light dried wheat malt extract
1.36kg lme
600g dextrose

Boling hops: 14g perle
finish with 5g coriander and 5g bitter orange peel

just out of curiousity, when did you add the dextrose?