10 or 20?

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Wildcard
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm
Name: Robb
Location: Moncton

10 or 20?

Post by Wildcard » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Looking for advice. I'm about to pick up a CO2 tank this weekend for my keezer. I'm curious about if I should be running a 10 or 20lb tank. I plan on having 4 kegs on tap with a beer gun in use making a 6-8 pack from each batch.

What's the life span one could expect with 30psi 24 carbonation and 10 psi for serving with a 4 valve manifold serving 4 kegs and once a batch, a beer gun on use at 3 psi.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: 10 or 20?

Post by mr x » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:32 pm

Get the 20lber.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
Wildcard
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm
Name: Robb
Location: Moncton

Re: 10 or 20?

Post by Wildcard » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:34 pm

Go big or go home eh?

User avatar
dexter
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:59 am
Name: Phil
Location: Halifax

Re: 10 or 20?

Post by dexter » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:43 pm

Seeing as people from NB have had issues filling them in NB I would get as big as possible so when you do need more its much less frequently

User avatar
Wildcard
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm
Name: Robb
Location: Moncton

Re: 10 or 20?

Post by Wildcard » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Oh? Issues? I know Brunswick Fyr fills then no issue. Praxair will fill but for more than Brunswick Fyr.

Timothy Doane
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: 10 or 20?

Post by Timothy Doane » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:46 pm

Whatever you do have 2 tanks. I had a party one time and I ran out - since then I have always had 2 tanks!

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: 10 or 20?

Post by Jimmy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:47 pm

I 2nd the 2 tanks. It can be a life saver.

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: 10 or 20?

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:50 pm

I've made do with one tank no problem. When my tank goes I've usually got enough pressure in the kegs to pour quite a few more pints.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
Wildcard
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm
Name: Robb
Location: Moncton

Re: 10 or 20?

Post by Wildcard » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:00 pm

CorneliusAlphonse wrote:When my tank goes I've usually got enough pressure in the kegs to pour quite a few more pints.
This was my thought, and with a 20lber I should be ok, assuming no leaks etc. Should last me a good while.

User avatar
canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
Name: Shane
Location: Quispamsis, NB
Contact:

Re: 10 or 20?

Post by canuck » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:13 pm

I've got a 20 lb tank hooked to my kegerator with 4 taps. The last time that I had it filled was last June. I don't bother with a second tank as my refill place is only 10 mins away.

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: 10 or 20?

Post by Jimmy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:17 pm

If you've got a refill station close it's not so bad.

These tanks give no warning. According to the pressure gauge they are either full or empty, no in-between.

I have a NG 20 seconds down the road from me, and I've still found myself needing c02 when everything is closed..Having the tank outside of the kegerator would help since you could easily weigh it to measure the volume remaining, but I keep mine in the fridge so it's a PITA to weigh (I'm guessing with a 20lber, you'd be keeping it out of the fridge).

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: 10 or 20?

Post by mr x » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:32 pm

You must have a crappy gauge. Mine will drop as the tank empties.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: 10 or 20?

Post by Jimmy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:34 pm

mr x wrote:You must have a crappy gauge. Mine will drop as the tank empties.
Both of mine do it. But again, maybe it's because they are in the fridge.

User avatar
Steve&ORChar
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:13 am
Name: Steve
Location: Sackville

Re: 10 or 20?

Post by Steve&ORChar » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:02 pm

with the co2 inside the fridge (or other cooling means) the gas compresses in the tank giving a different reading on the gauge, i went camping with a full tank, chilled it in a rubbermaid tote along with my kegs, and noticed that my gauge readings looked like i had an almost empty tank with me ... took it to outside temperature, gauge went up ...

User avatar
Wildcard
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm
Name: Robb
Location: Moncton

Re: 10 or 20?

Post by Wildcard » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:07 pm

If you're cooling the tank you should fill it. Cool it then weigh it. Use it till its out and weigh it cold empty. Or weigh it cool before filled.

With the tank being compressed weight is the only sign for loss of CO2. Saves warming it up to get a reading.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest