Best Coast IPA with Ringwood Wyeast?

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
Danny_Joris
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:21 pm
Name: Danny Joris

Best Coast IPA with Ringwood Wyeast?

Post by Danny_Joris » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to home brewing. I've only done one batch before this: the Festa Brew Blonde Lager.

I bought the Best Coast IPA at Noble Grape the other day. I'm wondering if replacing the dry yeast (ale yeast) with a liquid Ringwood (1187) Wyeast would be good or not. I don't know much yet about how it would affect taste or fermentation.

Thanks!
Danny

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Best Coast IPA with Ringwood Wyeast?

Post by mr x » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:37 pm

I think the -05 is a good choice for that kind of beer.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1154
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:18 pm
Name: Tim
Location: Downtown Dartmouth

Re: Best Coast IPA with Ringwood Wyeast?

Post by Tim Gregory » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Ringwood can be a tricky yeast to work with. It likes to produce diacytil. I'd get a few more batches under my belt before working with it. Like x said, us05 would work fine.

Danny_Joris
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:21 pm
Name: Danny Joris

Re: Best Coast IPA with Ringwood Wyeast?

Post by Danny_Joris » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:13 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah, I might bring back the Ringwood. I was a bit in a rush when I bought it. I'm not reading great things about it. I might stick with the dry yeast it came with (Danstar Nottingham Ale) or check if my local brew shop in PEI has any US-05.

Thanks for the feedback!

User avatar
Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1154
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:18 pm
Name: Tim
Location: Downtown Dartmouth

Re: Best Coast IPA with Ringwood Wyeast?

Post by Tim Gregory » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:39 pm

I didn't realize you already had the yeast. Don't be too intimidated if you want to try the ringwood. You'd need to do a starter and when fermentation starts to wind down warm it up for a few days.

User avatar
derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 1300
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:01 pm
Location: Musquodoboit Harbour, NS

Re: Best Coast IPA with Ringwood Wyeast?

Post by derek » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:42 pm

For a West Coast IPA, I don't think I'd consider Ringwood, but for the Best coast, I could work with that.

otoh, I guess my results in the recent BJCP judging exam might suggest that I'm overly tolerant of diacetyl. After the exam I drank a full can of the beer everyone else called "flawed".
Currently on tap: Whiter Shade of Pale!
In keg: .
In Primary: Nothing

Danny_Joris
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:21 pm
Name: Danny Joris

Re: Best Coast IPA with Ringwood Wyeast?

Post by Danny_Joris » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:24 pm

Yeah no worries - I think I'll bring it back anyways. What I read about diacetyl is throwing me off a bit. I'm not keen on the buttery flavor and honey like texture and when googling it, all that comes up are hazards and diseases.. :)

I'll check if they have an American Ale yeast.

User avatar
dean2k
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1172
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:08 pm
Name: deano
Location: Sackville, NB

Re: Best Coast IPA with Ringwood Wyeast?

Post by dean2k » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:52 am

derek wrote:For a West.... otoh, I guess my results in the recent BJCP judging exam might suggest that I'm overly tolerant of diacetyl. After the exam I drank a full can of the beer everyone else called "flawed".
I wonder how my own taste buds are attuned to diacetyl as well. Graham gave me an example of one of his own beers that he said was tasting of diacetyl, but all I got was some sweetness. I couldn't detect the buttery flavours at all.
.............................................

User avatar
akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 2644
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:18 pm
Name: Andy
Location: Amherst, NS

Re: Best Coast IPA with Ringwood Wyeast?

Post by akr71 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:36 am

dean2k wrote:I wonder how my own taste buds are attuned to diacetyl as well. Graham gave me an example of one of his own beers that he said was tasting of diacetyl, but all I got was some sweetness. I couldn't detect the buttery flavours at all.
In lower amounts, its more like butterscotch, than butter.
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
Name: Jon S
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland

Re: Best Coast IPA with Ringwood Wyeast?

Post by gm- » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:25 pm

Since you have it, why not give it a try? Will be a good experiment, and you will learn how to make a starter and work with liquid yeast. Ringwood can make some really good beers, you just might have to a diacetyl rest at the end of your fermentation.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

IanCompetent
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:46 pm

Re: Best Coast IPA with Ringwood Wyeast?

Post by IanCompetent » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:08 am

I'm a big fan of English yeasts but I don't care for Ringwood. I especially find the diacetyl taste too pronounced for hoppier styles. I tend to go for the more ester-y type strains like 1098 and 1318.

User avatar
NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Posts: 4085
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm
Name: Nash
Location: Halifax, NS
Contact:

Re: Best Coast IPA with Ringwood Wyeast?

Post by NASH » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:13 am

Fuck. It's odd that nobody comments on how buttery Propeller beers are. Or the ones I brew with Ringwood :lol: :cheers2:

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Best Coast IPA with Ringwood Wyeast?

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:09 am

I like Ringwood for the ESB I make - never really had any issues that I know of.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1154
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:18 pm
Name: Tim
Location: Downtown Dartmouth

Re: Best Coast IPA with Ringwood Wyeast?

Post by Tim Gregory » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:10 am

I've used it a few times in my oatmeal stout and mild with no issues. It's nice.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Best Coast IPA with Ringwood Wyeast?

Post by mr x » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:47 am

NASH wrote:Fuck. It's odd that nobody comments on how buttery Propeller beers are.
You can't taste the butter through the other flaws... :lol:
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
pet lion
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 751
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:42 pm
Name: Peter
Location: Halifax peninsula

Re: Best Coast IPA with Ringwood Wyeast?

Post by pet lion » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:17 am

I've used Ringwood a few times and my biggest issue was how slow the smackpacks take to swell up. Which only really slowed me down on the first brew as I realized that was how the yeast acted for the next few times I used it.
https://www.facebook.com/tidehousebrewingcompany" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests