Page 1 of 1

Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:08 pm
by benwedge
Does anyone have suggestions for filling CO2 tanks for people who live on the peninsula and don't have access to a car? Noble Grape apparently only swaps their own tanks, and Don Brenton's is outside of the bus travel range, as far as I can tell. Cost isn't the biggest concern, I just want to have a full tank of CO2.

As a bit of a second question, does anyone know where to get those wrenches that often come with kegerator kits? I want my regulator to have a tight seal, and don't have a large enough wrench. Worst case scenario I'll dish out for a standard wrench at Canadian Tire.

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:11 pm
by mr x
I might have a spare wrench at home. I'll see what I can find.

Not sure about the CO2, though...

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:17 pm
by moxie
The Army Navy store on Agricola will fill it, but it's like $.40/ounce. That would be around $30 to fill a #5. They also have tons of miscellaneous wrenches of various shapes and sizes. The only other places I know of are out in Burnside/etc. There is a paintball shop in central Dartmouth that might do it, but again, you would be paying a premium for it.

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:16 pm
by chalmers
benwedge wrote:Does anyone have suggestions for filling CO2 tanks for people who live on the peninsula and don't have access to a car? Noble Grape apparently only swaps their own tanks, and Don Brenton's is outside of the bus travel range, as far as I can tell. Cost isn't the biggest concern, I just want to have a full tank of CO2.

As a bit of a second question, does anyone know where to get those wrenches that often come with kegerator kits? I want my regulator to have a tight seal, and don't have a large enough wrench. Worst case scenario I'll dish out for a standard wrench at Canadian Tire.
The #21 and #23 buses go to Don Brenton's.

LiverDance just got a 5lb and 10lb filled there today, the total was $40. Worth it to go out there.

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:18 pm
by moxie
chalmers wrote:
benwedge wrote:Does anyone have suggestions for filling CO2 tanks for people who live on the peninsula and don't have access to a car? Noble Grape apparently only swaps their own tanks, and Don Brenton's is outside of the bus travel range, as far as I can tell. Cost isn't the biggest concern, I just want to have a full tank of CO2.

As a bit of a second question, does anyone know where to get those wrenches that often come with kegerator kits? I want my regulator to have a tight seal, and don't have a large enough wrench. Worst case scenario I'll dish out for a standard wrench at Canadian Tire.
The #21 and #23 buses go to Don Brenton's.

LiverDance just got a 5lb and 10lb filled there today, the total was $40. Worth it to go out there.
How does that compare to a swap at NG? I usually just exchange my #5 in there.

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:25 pm
by chalmers
I think 5lb swaps are $25 at NG, and a refill is ~$20 at Brenton's. The bigger savings are with larger tanks (and the ability to keep your own tank).

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:39 pm
by moxie
chalmers wrote:I think 5lb swaps are $25 at NG, and a refill is ~$20 at Brenton's. The bigger savings are with larger tanks (and the ability to keep your own tank).
Thanks. I am stuck with the 5 pounder for the time being, but $5 is worthwhile if I am in the area.

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:30 am
by benwedge
chalmers wrote: The #21 and #23 buses go to Don Brenton's.
I'd no idea Thanks. I just looked up the bus schedule, it's an hour long ride. Does any know their hours? Their website omits that detail.

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:42 am
by derek
I don't think I'm drinking enough. I have been using the same 5lb tank since August, and it's still nowhere near redline. So $20 or $25 just isn't making that much difference to me. Of course, living in the middle of nowhere, nobody ever drops by for a beer...

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:46 pm
by chalmers
benwedge wrote:
chalmers wrote: The #21 and #23 buses go to Don Brenton's.
I'd no idea Thanks. I just looked up the bus schedule, it's an hour long ride. Does any know their hours? Their website omits that detail.
It's in the sticky. :)
8-4:30, M-F

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:22 pm
by benwedge
chalmers wrote: It's in the sticky. :)
8-4:30, M-F
Thanks. Which sticky? I just checked again and didn't see it...

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:38 pm
by Jmac00
its in the group buy section...you need a password...PM X

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:31 pm
by benwedge
Jmac00 wrote:its in the group buy section...you need a password...PM X
Oh. I never thought to check there. Thanks.

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:02 am
by 020543m
I'm guessing places like Bretons and the Army/Navy store get their CO2 from Air Liquide, so the purity is indirectly guaranteed. C02 is C02, but I'm a tad concerned about consuming something intended for a fire extinguisher. Can anyone comment on my concerns? Thanks.

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:48 am
by mr x
Don't know what to tell you.

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:14 pm
by benwedge
020543m wrote:I'm guessing places like Bretons and the Army/Navy store get their CO2 from Air Liquide, so the purity is indirectly guaranteed. C02 is C02, but I'm a tad concerned about consuming something intended for a fire extinguisher. Can anyone comment on my concerns? Thanks.
AFAIK CO2 is CO2. They pressurize the fire extinguishers with the same stuff, but it doesn't mix with the retardant beforehand. All restaurants use the same stuff to push their beer through.

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:08 pm
by 020543m
Thanks Ben. It's hard to find a consistent answer though. For example: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/food-grade-co2-58297/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:11 pm
by derek
020543m wrote:Thanks Ben. It's hard to find a consistent answer though. For example: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/food-grade-co2-58297/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Uh, oh. He mentioned that which must not be named.

Probably the best advice we can give you is not to take advice from that site...

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:32 pm
by mr x
Yes, considering half the advice given there is fucked, lol.

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:33 pm
by NASH
020543m wrote:Thanks Ben. It's hard to find a consistent answer though. For example: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/food-grade-co2-58297/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
I wouldn't worry about it either. If you are there's a real easy way to find out in about 90 seconds - pick up the phone and ask them :cheers:

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:58 am
by benwedge
FWIW when you fill at Don Brenton's the invoice specifies "draft bottle," so if there is any difference in the CO2 they know what they're doing. But I'm still pretty sure there's no difference.

Re: Filling up CO2 tanks on the peninsula

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:09 pm
by jabbrro
I asked a Don Breton guy and he said all co2 is food grade. There isn't different type for different things. Co2 is Co2