Leaky Keg

A spot to talk general homebrew
JEH
Verified User
Verified User

Leaky Keg

Post by JEH » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:47 pm

So I just returned home from a weekend away to see that the beer I kegged thursday has been slowly leaking. Will it be a problem if I clean another keg and siphone whats left into another keg?
Serving:
-Strong Bitter
-Double Chocolate Espresso Stout
Fermenting/Conditioning:
-Robust Porter
-Raspberry Wheat
-American Pale Ale

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Re: Leaky Keg

Post by mr x » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:42 pm

There's something I haven't tried. I think if you purge out the new keg, you should be OK, but you may need to do this under pressure, or really cold, or both to keep down the foaming.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

moxie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Patrick

Post by moxie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:09 pm

If it's already carbonated, it will be a nightmare to syphon it... What you should do is (provided you have some extra QDs laying around, I assume you do if you have multiple kegs) make a keg to keg "jumper." Two liquid QDs attached to a beer line. Pressurize your full keg to 15 PSI or so, and also pressurize your empty keg to 15PSI. Connect both liquid outs with your keg jumper, and then slowly pull the pressure relief valve on the empty keg until all of the beer is transferred. You will not risk oxidation with this method.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:28 pm

Just make sure you purge the empty keg before reseating the relief valve.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

JEH
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JEH » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:14 pm

Decided to try siphoning it and it was surprisingly pretty easy. Its a beer that my roommate made and didnt turn out great, so wasnt too worried about ruining the half keg. thanks for the input though guys. if i wasnt so overtired i would have given your method a shot moxie. if the beer doesnt end up working out ill let you guys know so you can avoid siphoning it like this in the future!
Serving:
-Strong Bitter
-Double Chocolate Espresso Stout
Fermenting/Conditioning:
-Robust Porter
-Raspberry Wheat
-American Pale Ale

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”