Best place to get a kegging setup?

A spot to talk general homebrew
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Best place to get a kegging setup?

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:57 pm

Hey all. I've been sort of a lurker on this site, the mailing list, and homebrewtalk for a while. Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion on how best to start kegging in Halifaxe? The local homebrewing store, I need not name it, sells them for $270 (keg, CO2 tank & manifold - I assume a 5lb tank - maybe some miscellaneous tubing)

I'm just wondering if there is any cheaper way to do it - I've been watching kijiji for anyone selling used setup, but haven't seen one.

Any ideas would be great. :mrgreen:
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Re: Best place to get a kegging setup?

Post by mr x » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:02 pm

Keep an eye on kijiji. Sometimes we can pick up stuff there. Sending you a pm in a minute.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:32 pm

I purchased my keg setup through them and I am pretty happy with it. I haven't noticed anything cheaper (locally) though. The only suggestion I have is maybe seeing if you can get a 2nd keg thrown in (the 2nd was included when I purchased mine). Either way, it's worth the money if you ask me...no hassle of bottling, and the transfer from carboy to keg in 5 minutes.

ratchet
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ratchet » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:38 pm

When I won't be lynched for buying more beer equipment, I'm going to be investing in a dual output reg keg set-up (I'll be doing pop as well as beer).

From my research, kegconnection seems to have fairly good prices (but you'll want to look into shipping costs)

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:19 pm

And keep in mind that some of us need to make orders to the US now and then, and getting in on these can be a money saver.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Post by akr71 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:38 pm

I've been in touch with a guy outside of Moncton that sells used Pepsi kegs - I've got them for $35 each so far. Ratchet and Chalmers both took part in this deal. I need a few more (but not sure when I'll be buying them).

There was a bit of an issue the first time 'round with damaged kegs, but he replaced them, no questions asked.

Let me know how many you're looking for and I'll see what I can do.
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Post by CartoonCod » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:37 am

I've got a friend looking to sell a complete two keg setup. I've given him the heads up about this thread.

Adam

Ceejay

Post by Ceejay » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:40 pm

Hi! As CartoonCod mentioned, I have a double-keg system for sale. I've posted the ad in Classifieds section of these forums.

benwedge
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ben Wedge

Post by benwedge » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:27 pm

I was going to post a similar question, but I guess there's no need.

My new question is: how adaptable is the setup from the Noble Grape? Is it easy to add multiple kegs to it (3 or more) down the road, or am I looking at another serious equipment buy at that point? I need to balance the current space and finances I have (I'm a student) with my desire to brew more & keg more in the future. (Next spring, likely.)

I'm probably going to start with one keg, and they're system is appealing because they've done all the leg work for me, but it's pricey.
Brewing right now: whatever is going on tap at Stillwell in a few weeks.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:36 pm

benwedge wrote:I was going to post a similar question, but I guess there's no need.

My new question is: how adaptable is the setup from the Noble Grape? Is it easy to add multiple kegs to it (3 or more) down the road, or am I looking at another serious equipment buy at that point?(Next spring, likely.)
It's literally just a matter of splitting your C02 line to feed how ever many kegs you want to hook up and purchasing another thump tap with a few feet of hose. I'm thinking somewhere around $10 to add each additional keg..but that's just guessing at the price.

Edit: I added a couple pictures of what I am talking about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

benwedge
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ben Wedge

Post by benwedge » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:39 pm

Awesome. I was worried it would involve a fancier regulator or something. Thanks for the info!
Brewing right now: whatever is going on tap at Stillwell in a few weeks.

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:27 pm

akr71 wrote:I've been in touch with a guy outside of Moncton that sells used Pepsi kegs - I've got them for $35 each so far. Ratchet and Chalmers both took part in this deal. I need a few more (but not sure when I'll be buying them).
Let me know how many you're looking for and I'll see what I can do.
I could use two more...
Currently on tap: Nothing!
In keg: Still nothing.
In Primary: Doggone American Rye Pale Ale

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Post by akr71 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:21 pm

OK - I'd like to get the group malt order taken care of first, before I surprise the wife with any more brewing related expenses.

I'll get the ball rolling on it though, so he has lots of time to test the kegs.
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”