A spot to talk general homebrew
andrewtrsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Andrew Smith

CHI Company Opinion

Post by andrewtrsmith » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:37 am

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has ordered anything from CHI Company before? There prices seem to be less than KegCowboy or Keg Connections and the shipping didn't seem too bad either ($29 for a wack of beer & gas line, 4 sets of disconnects, and misc stuff). I'm shopping around, slowly getting the keezer together and looking for the most economical way to do it. I've got kegs, and a lead on a regulator but will be ordering everything else except for a co2 tank as makes more sense for me to do tank swaps. Any leads on economical sources would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew
Sign's your not quite awake yet ... "Where the heck is RIS?"

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Re: CHI Company Opinion

Post by mr x » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:43 am

I can`t say that Ive heard anything bad about them...
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:15 am

I think they're good but I'm pretty sure they only ship UPS so you're going to get screwed on handling fees. I almost ordered from them recently but changed my mind and went to hopdawgs.ca.

-Rob
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:45 am

Rasp wrote:I think they're good but I'm pretty sure they only ship UPS so you're going to get screwed on handling fees. I almost ordered from them recently but changed my mind and went to hopdawgs.ca.

-Rob
Try asking if they ship UPS worldease. I've always avoided anyone who ship UPS but recently found out about UPS worldease. Apparantly there are no brokerage fees for the receiver and all fees are paid upfront. I have an order enroute from the US that is being shipped with worldease. I will let you know how it turns out when it gets here.

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13

Post by RubberToe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:02 am

Jimmy wrote:Try asking if they ship UPS worldease. I've always avoided anyone who ship UPS but recently found out about UPS worldease. Apparantly there are no brokerage fees for the receiver and all fees are paid upfront. I have an order enroute from the US that is being shipped with worldease. I will let you know how it turns out when it gets here.
Good to know, thanks.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:

Jmac00
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Jmac00 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:42 am

CHI will ship USPS.

andrewtrsmith
Verified User
Verified User

Post by andrewtrsmith » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:45 am

I just took a second look and it was USPS that was showing for $28. Looks like you have to contact them to go UPS. I'm still debating though because i'm not sure what their bev lines are like and i don't want to save a couple bucks but have nasty tasting beer.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:26 am

Just grab your bev lines at NG.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Jmac00
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Jmac00 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:32 am

i agree....stuff like lines is decently priced locally. Have you checked with Simgo? they're cdn.

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Post by NASH » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:36 am

I say again.... The Hose Gods!

Associated industrial Rubber/Stellar Industrial in Burnside. More products... http://www.stellarindustrial.ca/default.asp?mn=1.25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:40 am

OK, that place is going in the supplier sticky. :spilly:

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13

Post by RubberToe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:26 am

I'm going there in about 5 minutes. :)
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:

andrewtrsmith
Verified User
Verified User

Post by andrewtrsmith » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Hahaha,

Ok, I'll change the question a bit, what about a source for quick disconnects. I'm looking for 2 sets each of Ball and Pin unless someone wants some Pin lock kegs in exchange for ball.

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:17 pm

andrewtrsmith wrote:Hahaha,

Ok, I'll change the question a bit, what about a source for quick disconnects. I'm looking for 2 sets each of Ball and Pin unless someone wants some Pin lock kegs in exchange for ball.
There's one set of ball-lock in the box o goodies I have ready for you. I have some spare pin-locks somewhere too but haven't found them, yet at least. I think I have another box or two of beer stuff somewhere but I'm not sure where, I been digging into the depths of hell finding all sorts of stuff :lol:

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:44 pm

mr x wrote:OK, that place is going in the supplier sticky. :spilly:
Where is said sticky? Maybe it should be universal too?

Found it :crazy:

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:01 pm

Andrew,

I've got a set of pin lock connects (as well as the 3 pin lock kegs). If you still wanted to trade for the pin lock kegs and go all pin lock, I'd be happy to. (I understand the preference for skinny over wide, If you're going for a full sized fridge.) Seems like it might be a pain in the butt in the long run to try and run a system with both Pepsi and Coke. Maybe best trying to track down more ball locks if you want to go that way before investing in conenctions. As for shipping, if you're mainly just getting connects, does it make sense to mail order? They're only a couple of bucks more at NG. It seems like the big savings are to be had on regs, towers, taps, and empty tanks. Is it worth it for misc. stuff?

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:17 pm

I have both sets of disconnects and both types of keg. I'll happily trade a couple of ball lock kegs for pins.
Currently on tap: Nothing!
In keg: Still nothing.
In Primary: Doggone American Rye Pale Ale

andrewtrsmith
Verified User
Verified User

Post by andrewtrsmith » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:23 pm

derek wrote:

I have both sets of disconnects and both types of keg. I'll happily trade a couple of ball lock kegs for pins.
You wouldn't happen to have enough ball locks for both Jason and I would you?

andrewtrsmith
Verified User
Verified User

Post by andrewtrsmith » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:26 pm

NASH wrote:

There's one set of ball-lock in the box o goodies I have ready for you. I have some spare pin-locks somewhere too but haven't found them, yet at least. I think I have another box or two of beer stuff somewhere but I'm not sure where, I been digging into the depths of hell finding all sorts of stuff :lol:
You are way way to kind Nash. I know you've got a smoker so an offering of pulled poork probibly won't carry much weight but I'll run you out some homemade rub and bbq sauce when I get my stock pot full o sauce ready for the season.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:34 pm

That sounds good. :mmm:

andrewtrsmith
Verified User
Verified User

Post by andrewtrsmith » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:01 pm

I might not be able to make the meetings for April, but i should be able to make May's. I'll bring some bbq sauce out then, and if people like it, cover my costs and i'll make it for who ever wants it.

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:43 pm

andrewtrsmith wrote:
NASH wrote:

You are way way to kind Nash. I know you've got a smoker so an offering of pulled poork probibly won't carry much weight but I'll run you out some homemade rub and bbq sauce when I get my stock pot full o sauce ready for the season.
Hey now, I have 2 smokers :pow:

Actually grabbing a big old butt tomorrow that I'll get started over the next day or 2. But yeah, I get tired of eating my own Q sauce sometimes, even with the bourbon and beer in it :lol:

See you tomorrow.

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:38 pm

andrewtrsmith wrote:
derek wrote: I have both sets of disconnects and both types of keg. I'll happily trade a couple of ball lock kegs for pins.
How many is enough? I have 4 ball-lock kegs, and I think I'm happier with the pin-locks, so I could trade them all. In my case, shorter beats skinnier, because they fit under a particular shelf for storage.
Currently on tap: Nothing!
In keg: Still nothing.
In Primary: Doggone American Rye Pale Ale

andrewtrsmith
Verified User
Verified User

Post by andrewtrsmith » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:23 am

derek wrote:
andrewtrsmith wrote:
derek wrote: I have both sets of disconnects and both types of keg. I'll happily trade a couple of ball lock kegs for pins.
How many is enough? I have 4 ball-lock kegs, and I think I'm happier with the pin-locks, so I could trade them all. In my case, shorter beats skinnier, because they fit under a particular shelf for storage.

I'll let Jason confirm but I believe it's 4 because I only have 2 balls that I was going to trade with Jason for pins. I have to get some new post o-rings for the pin locks for you but the other o-rings are in great shape.

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:02 pm

I don't actually NEED ball locks kegs (I have 8 right now), but I also have three pin locks that are useless to me now, and which I would be happy to either trade or sell. (On one of them the rubber on top is coming off of one side. This isn't a big deal (I threw a bit of duct tape on to hold it into place), but should be mentioned.) Happy to trade them to anyone who wants them (or sell them cheap). Derek: If you wanted to get rid of the four ball locks you had, me and Andrew could both give you 2 pin locks (I think Andrew has 2, right?).

Jason

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”