Page 1 of 1
Newbie - Kegerator Kit
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:57 am
by dirk
So I'm totally new at home brewing and I'm going to buy a kegerator kit. I think I have a line on some Pepsi Corny Kegs (if anyone has tips on where to get some please let me know). I plan on converting a bar fridge to a kegerator. I'm thinking dual tap tower mounted on top. I'm looking at Keg conversion kits online. I think I'll order from BeverageFactory.com. I've checked Kegworks.com, Kegerators.com, KegConnection.com. I think the shipping is the issue and I have to get a shipping quote. Looks like a dual tap kit will be around 250 without the C02 tank or kegs (or fridge).
Here are my questions;
Any advise on where to order from? Seems like a lot of the suppliers sell the "D" Sankey couplers - which I don't want because of the ball lock kegs.
Where does everyone get Corny Kegs from? (I've checked Kijiji).
Where can I get a C02 tank locally - for a reasonable cost?
Thanks for the help!
Re: Newbie - Kegerator Kit
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:35 am
by moxie
I ordered my kit from Beverage Factory a couple of years ago. I didn't have it shipped to a Canadian address, so I can't really speak on that, but I can say that their gear came well packed, and it was a reasonable price (at the time.) I know many are high on KegCowboy and KegConnection. I have only ordered small bits from KegConnection, and they are pretty good, although you have to request (usually by phone) for shipment via USPS. (No brokerage fees)
KegConnection has a promotion going where you upgrade the size of your C02 for $10, basically you jump from a #5 to a #10 for $10. Not bad.
Going with the dual tower is a smart move. I have come to regret buying the single. It's cost me a bit more money in the long run. If you can squeeze two kegs in your converted fridge, then go for it.
Cornys pop up on Kijiji on a pretty regular basis. If you check the Classified section on here, posters are often kind enough to post a heads up to good deals found around the Province. Someone is usually advertising Ball locks from Moncton, he will sell at a lower price if you buy 5 or more, although better deals can be found elsewhere (If you're patient)
Other than that, good luck with your conversion! Be sure to post the finished beast in the kegerator photo thread.

Re: Newbie - Kegerator Kit
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:04 am
by Jmac00
Pepsi kegs are getting harder and harder to find as pepsi switched to a new system and are slowly becoming scarse. Coke still uses the cannisters, so might be easier and cheaper to find them...but, this also depends on your size fridge as pepsi are taller and skinnier, and coke are shorter but fatter...hold same amount. Just ask around about some kegs...anyone who works at restaurants, bars, coke or pepsi may be able to help find some.
As for the rest...keep and eye on kijiji, ebay, etc...if you wanted to keep cost down at first...going with some picnic taps would be the way to go...then build on it from there...unless you got the $$$ to buy everything at once from one of those sites. There's cdn sites as well that you could try...if the US ones won't ship USPS. It's wise not to have it shipped UPS...you'll pay dearly for it.
Re: Newbie - Kegerator Kit
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:48 pm
by mr x
Garak was putting together a gear order for odds and ends that might work out for the both of you.
Re: Newbie - Kegerator Kit
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:13 pm
by dirk
Thanks for the info! Any ideas on getting a C02 tank locally? I know Noble Grape has them up they seem a bit expensive for a steel tank.
Re: Newbie - Kegerator Kit
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:24 pm
by mr x
I'm not sure about locally, I had mine ordered in from the US. And I far prefer the aluminum.
Re: Newbie - Kegerator Kit
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:50 pm
by dirk
So I ordered a kit. Pretty much this
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbee ... tck2.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, with the exception of the faucets. I upgraded to 2 perlick 525SS faucets. I also added a 5 lb Aluminum C02 tank. Shipping wasn't too bad I thought - $42.00. Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll write about my experiences as I'm new to all this and it will likely provide some good entertainment.
Re: Newbie - Kegerator Kit
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:14 pm
by mr x
You shipped USPS, right? Not UPS.
Re: Newbie - Kegerator Kit
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:16 pm
by dirk
They actually ship with Fedex, so here's hoping that there are no weird brokerage charges. Now all I need to do is figure out how to actually brew beer.

Re: Newbie - Kegerator Kit
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:19 pm
by mr x
I would expect brokerage charges with Fedex.

Re: Newbie - Kegerator Kit
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:54 pm
by Jmac00
mr x wrote:I would expect brokerage charges with Fedex.

yup, i've heard the same thing...very similar to UPS. Good luck though

Re: Newbie - Kegerator Kit
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:03 am
by Jimmy
mr x wrote:I would expect brokerage charges with Fedex.

There will most likely be some brokerage fees, but I believe they are more reasonable than UPS.
Re: Newbie - Kegerator Kit
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:07 am
by ratchet
if at all possible... always have things shipped via USPS

Re: Newbie - Kegerator Kit
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:22 am
by Jimmy
ratchet wrote:if at all possible... always have things shipped via USPS

Something new I learned recently...UPS has an shipping method called WorldEase which has zero brokerage fees and duty is included in the shipping price.
Re: Newbie - Kegerator Kit
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:23 am
by mr x
Jimmy wrote:ratchet wrote:if at all possible... always have things shipped via USPS

Something new I learned recently...UPS has an shipping method called WorldEase which has zero brokerage fees and duty is included in the shipping price.
About time - how's the shipping rate?
Re: Newbie - Kegerator Kit
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:33 am
by Jimmy
mr x wrote:Jimmy wrote:ratchet wrote:if at all possible... always have things shipped via USPS

Something new I learned recently...UPS has an shipping method called WorldEase which has zero brokerage fees and duty is included in the shipping price.
About time - how's the shipping rate?
I paid about $60 for a set of headlights (2.5' x 3' x 1.5' box) for my truck to be shipped from California, again, that included all brokerage and duty in that price.
Re: Newbie - Kegerator Kit
Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:41 pm
by ben2011
dirk wrote:So I ordered a kit. Pretty much this
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbee ... tck2.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, with the exception of the faucets. I upgraded to 2 perlick 525SS faucets. I also added a 5 lb Aluminum C02 tank. Shipping wasn't too bad I thought - $42.00. Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll write about my experiences as I'm new to all this and it will likely provide some good entertainment.
Hey Dirk,
I just ordered a kegerator kit from beverage factory, how long did yours take to arrive? I'm assuming I paid for the same shipping method, as mine was around $42.00 as well.
Ben

Re: Newbie - Kegerator Kit
Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:03 pm
by dirk
Ben,
Believe it or not mine still hasn't shipped. They seem very nice and actually called me at home to tell me the ball lock connections were out of stock. I called them today and they said it should ship in the next day or so as they are now in stock.
Here's what I ordered;
Product Description Status Qty Price Disc Ext. Price
Custom Two Keg Tower Kegerator Conversion Kit [BF CDTCK] Processing 1 $0.00   $0.00
Neoprene Coupling Washer [BF NEOW] Processing 2 $0.00   $0.00
Black Plastic Beer Faucet Knob [BF FKNB] Processing 2 $0.00   $0.00
Faucet Wrench - Standard Duty [BF FWSTD] Processing 1 $0.00   $0.00
642-2 Premium Dual Gauge Regulator with Air Splitter [MM 642-2] Processing 1 $77.50 5% $73.62
Two 5' Long Air Line Assemblies - 5/16" ID Tubing [BF 2ALA516-5] Processing 1 $8.00 5% $7.60
Ball Lock Home Brew Keg Tap Complete Set [BF BLCP-CS] Processing 2 $16.00 5% $30.40
[FX 07C07-115] Processing 2 $0.00   $0.00
Ball Lock Liquid Barb 1/4" - 0 [FX 07C07-139] Processing 2 $0.00   $0.00
1/4" to 5/16" MFL Flare nut [FX 04C03-293] Processing 2 $0.00   $0.00
Two Perlick PERL 525SS Keg Beer Faucets - Stainless Steel [BF 525SS2] Processing 1 $54.95 5% $52.20
Perlick PERL 525SS Keg Beer Faucet - Stainless Steel [PL 525SS] Processing 2 $0.00   $0.00
D4743DT-SS Polished Stainless Steel Dual Faucet Draft Beer Tower [MM D4743DT] Processing 1 $109.00 5% $103.55
5 lb. Aluminum Co2 Tank [BF C5] Processing 1 $58.95 5% $56.00
Discount - $17.03
Subtotal $323.37
Shipping - Standard Shipping 45.01
Total Delivered Price $368.38