The Conical Thread

A spot to talk general homebrew
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Re: The Conical Thread

Post by mr x » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:12 pm

Ghetto cooling almost complete, just need to measure some thermal wrap. [attachment=-1]NEX40894.JPG[/attachment]

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:22 pm

Looks like that will work well for fermentation temperature control. Not such a high cooling demand as needed when rapidly cooling boiling wort. You'd probably only need to have the water flowing slowly as well, due to the not very high heat exchange of the system. Looks very neat.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Post by jeffsmith » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:23 pm

Very cool.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:47 pm

How are you guys enjoying the conicals? I'm finding that the small things like being able to pour off a sample without a bunch of cleaning, pressurized transfers, being able to rouse the hops with co2 from the dump port, etc. add up and make a conical totally worthwhile - that's without even taking the the sanitation, impermeability, yeast harvesting, and other major benefits into consideration.

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jeffsmith » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:50 pm

I'm loving mine now that the gasket X procured for me gives me a nice tight seal. Love the easy cleaning and easy transfers.

What type of a setup are you using for getting co2 through the dump valve? Just getting ready to dry hop my first IPA in the conical so it's something I'll be rigging up soon.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:02 pm

I'm using a ball lock gas fitting installed in a 1.5" triclover - it's the same one I use for my pressurized transfers. I just connect it to the dump valve, turn the pressure on (don't need much), open the valve and let a bit bubble through. Also, I keep the tank up high when I open the valve..I doubt I need to but it's an extra buffer to prevent beer from making its way back into the regulator/tank.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:02 pm

I haven't had a chance to use mine yet. Looking forward to it once I get a couple tc fittings modified.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:09 pm

Rubbertoe, have you used the CIP spray ball yet?

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:52 pm

Only on my keg washer. It's just way too easy to hoze the inside of it and drain into a bucket. I do that, remove and clean the valves, put them back on, add PBW/Oxyclean solution, washing it by hand and letting it soak after splashing and wiping it around, drain, spray with water again, then add starsan solution to do the same. I also use a spray bottle with starsan to soak the sides and lid.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:54 pm

RubberToe wrote:Only on my keg washer. It's just way too easy to hoze the inside of it and drain into a bucket. I do that, remove and clean the valves, put them back on, add PBW/Oxyclean solution, washing it by hand and letting it soak after splashing and wiping it around, drain, spray with water again, then add starsan solution to do the same. I also use a spray bottle with starsan to soak the sides and lid.
How full are you going with water when you clean with PBW? First 2 times I cleaned by hand, today I put 55 liters in with PBW and heated/recirculated.

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13

Post by RubberToe » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:01 pm

Only a bit above the racking port.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:

bluenose
Verified User
Verified User

Post by bluenose » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:26 pm

what does everyone think of these little devils?
http://www.kegworks.com/complete-fastfe ... ment-email
conical.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:37 pm

I think they are made of plastic so I don't want anything to do with them

Others likely have different opinions
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:00 pm

bluenose wrote:what does everyone think of these little devils?
http://www.kegworks.com/complete-fastfe ... ment-email
There was some previous discussion here with at least one member saying he'd ordered one (actually two).

I have a friend (brand new to brewing) who decided to go this route and he's received his, but I don't believe he's actually brewed anything yet.

The thermowell and yeast ball are nice features to have in that price range. I'm not troubled by plastic, but my vessels of choice are currently Dave's widemouth fermenters; if I hadn't already invested in those I'd probably bite on one of the FastFermenters. Especially now that they're available at Noble Grape ($120 + tax, includes a wall mount and 1 yeast ball). NG's Facebook suggests HappyHopper has used one of these, perhaps he'd be willing to provide comment?

Edit: And apparently I'm late to the party and Dave has them too!
Last edited by mumblecrunch on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Name: David Gillett

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:02 pm

bluenose wrote:what does everyone think of these little devils?
I think they're awesome!

http://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/prod ... t-conical/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want to check one out, I just got them in last week.

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ivor

Post by ivorm » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:23 pm

So are these the butterfly valves you guys bought for the conicals from the group buy? Do they work pretty good?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-5-Tri-Clamp-38 ... 5#shpCntId

I just bought Mr.X's conical from Liverdance, I was hopping it was going to have the butterfly valve on it but I guess he held onto it (I don't blame him).

I also picked up a new fridge for it today so I don't think I'll be using the jacket, it just fits in the fridge with the door closed. I assume this will work pretty good for temperature control with an inkbird.

PS: Sorry Sandy, I know you wanted to grab this. If I sell it you'll get first crack.

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13

Post by RubberToe » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:28 pm

Yes, that's the valve. IMHO you should get two of them (I did).
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ivorm » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:35 pm

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:35 am

Enjoy Ivor. LD has passed other gear on to me in the past.

S

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jeffsmith » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:33 am

RubberToe wrote:Yes, that's the valve. IMHO you should get two of them (I did).
:stupid:

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ivorm » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:35 pm

I have few questions for you guys that have these conicals from the group buy.

1. Do you guys use a thermowell or just tape a probe to the outside? If you use a thermowell how do you have both the thermowell and the blow of tube/airlock installed on the single port on the top?

2. If I stick with using the ball valves does it just mean I have to disassemble them and clean/sanitize them after each use? I assume with a butterfly valve you can just clean it in place?

3. Are there any cheaper options for getting a racking arm (dip tube) besides stout tanks or OBK?

4. Any other add-ons that seem to be necessary? Sampling valve?

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13

Post by RubberToe » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:45 pm

1) I don't use a thermowell. I may if I had enough clearance in my fridge to get one into the top port and use some kind of T fitting for blow off. I tape my probe end to the side under a patch of reflectix.

2) Yes, you'd need to clean them good. Once you use the ball valve there will be wort / beer trapped inside. However these ones have a piece you can take off to drain / spray inside if you need to keep them on your fermenting brew. YMMV.

3) I don't think so. I opted not to get one and am happy with my decision. Some yeast comes out when I take a post fermentation gravity sample and the port is clear enough for me.

4) If this fermenter had another 1-1/2" TC port on the side I would go for a sampling valve, but it doesn't. I sample through the racking port (butterfly) valve in my case. Add-ons in my case are extra TC gaskets, TC caps, hose barb (1/2"), and a fitting to hook a blow off tube to. You could probably get away with a standard air lock though.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ivorm » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:20 pm

RubberToe wrote:1) I don't use a thermowell. I may if I had enough clearance in my fridge to get one into the top port and use some kind of T fitting for blow off. I tape my probe end to the side under a patch of reflectix.

2) Yes, you'd need to clean them good. Once you use the ball valve there will be wort / beer trapped inside. However these ones have a piece you can take off to drain / spray inside if you need to keep them on your fermenting brew. YMMV.

3) I don't think so. I opted not to get one and am happy with my decision. Some yeast comes out when I take a post fermentation gravity sample and the port is clear enough for me.

4) If this fermenter had another 1-1/2" TC port on the side I would go for a sampling valve, but it doesn't. I sample through the racking port (butterfly) valve in my case. Add-ons in my case are extra TC gaskets, TC caps, hose barb (1/2"), and a fitting to hook a blow off tube to. You could probably get away with a standard air lock though.
Thanks for the reply.

I plan on using an inkbird for temp control with a heat belt for the heating side. Do you keep the inkbird on the outside of the fridge and run you probe line and power for your heat source into the fridge or do you just put the whole thing in the fridge? I guess either way I guess need to drill a hole in the fridge.

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13

Post by RubberToe » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:35 pm

My temp controller is outside the fridge, the probe comes in through a hole in the side (I had a spot easy to drill). For my heater or heat wrap the cable just comes in through the door jam.

Personally I'd rather the controller on the outside - you can see it and not worry about moisture in the electronics.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:57 am

I use a thermowell with mine. Same setup as what RT mentioned—T fitting on the top TC port, thermowell through the top, blow off to the side. I opted to get a dip tube from stout tanks, it was the best option that I found and fits these conicals really well. Look for the one they sell for their 14 gallon conical. I picked up a sample valve from the same guy that sells the butterfly valves on eBay from PEI. Think it was around $30 at the time (a couple years ago).

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”