Page 1 of 1

RIS Bottle or Keg?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:47 pm
by jmacdonald
I have a Russian Imperial Stout in the carboy that has been bulk aging for 3 months. I would like to bottle this but am worried about the amount of yeast that would be available to carbonate. Does anyone have any experience with this? If it is more advisable I could go with kegging, however I did not want to tie up a keg for the summer months.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: RIS Bottle or Keg?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:07 pm
by berley
If you decide to bottle it, you can just add a small amount of a dry yeast to the bottling bucket - you wouldn't need much, maybe 1/8 of a pack or less - to ensure that you've got enough there for carbonation to occur. I'll often do that for high-ABV beers and lagers, just in case.

Re: RIS Bottle or Keg?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:41 pm
by Jayme
I would bottle so you can keep it a few years. And what berley said.

Re: RIS Bottle or Keg?

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:53 am
by jacinthebox
I'd say bottle...

I saved a 6 pack to sample this June...a year after brewing it

Re: RIS Bottle or Keg?

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:54 pm
by jmacdonald
Bottle it is! Thanks.